Goerge
Lv 7
Goerge preguntado en Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · hace 2 meses

Are dumplings in chicken and dumplings supposed to be light and airy or dense and chewy? ?

When I make my chicken and dumplings I like the dumplings to be light and airy. 

Actualización:

Sounds like a fun meal. Chicken and dumplings with deep fried ice cream for dessert. 

Actualización 2:

@CB That reminds me of Dinty Moore chicken and dumplings. Those brown and chewy squares of glutenous dough. Not something I really enjoy either. 

9 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 2 meses

Let me put it to you this way: You have just been shoveling snow for 2 hours, and you are cold to the bone.  Would you rater have a warn chewy dumpling, or a light and airy one?

• denise
    Lv 7
    hace 2 meses

Mine are quite light,  I make spoon drop dumplings.

• hace 2 meses

Light and airy is preferable.

• hace 2 meses

There are different versions with different names, it really depends on what you like. The version with fluffy biscuits cooked on top is probably most-widely known. There is also a version made with 'slicks': short, wide, flat noddles that swim around in the light gravy with the chicken

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 2 meses

Dumplings in chicken and dumplings are supposed to be light and airy and they aren't supposed to be dense and chewy.

• hace 2 meses

It depends on the kind of dumplings you want. 

There are light and airy ones that are made and dropped onto the chicken mixture then the lid is put on the pot and the steaming of the dumplings Should result in a light and airy dumpling. 

Other dumplings are made almost like a dough that you would roll out to make a pie with.  The dough is rolled out and cut into squares and dropped int to the chicken mixture.  The cooking of these dumplings also thickens the mixture due to the starch that is let out as the dumplings cook.  These dumplings are more like hearty "noodle" type dumplings. 

both are dumplings, both are good it just depends on what you want. 

• Goerge
    Lv 7
    hace 2 meses

It most certainly is counter intuitive but drop them in the pot at a fast simmer and they're fine. The liquid in the chicken and dumplings is thicker than water, thanks to the rue that's made in the beginning. It soaks in maybe a cm into the biscuit dough which only imparts flavor  and doesn't soak it through. I add some jalapenos and freshly grated cheddar cheese to the biscuits sometimes. SO good. That's why I mentioned deep fried ice cream. Dropping ice cream into 375f peanut oil seems like a very bad idea but when they're coated with crushed corn flakes, among other ingredients, the ice cream comes out unscathed. 

• CB
    Lv 7
    hace 2 meses

Only dumplings I have ever had were like a wet lump of dough in gravy, never again.......and the family I was eating with was crazy about them. Give me a potato ANYTIME.

• Anónimo
    hace 2 meses

If I want light and airy, I make biscuits.  

Putting dough in water seems counter-productive, although I'll admit I'm no expert on dumplings.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.