How is it dangerous to have 1 extra jack acting as a support for the other jack next to it?

My parents insist I only use ONE jack when working under a car, not not 2 where the other one could have acted as support. It would've made it far safer with an extra jack to help lighten the load on the other jack. 

Actualización:

What type do 

I need for a BMW that may not have the pinch welds. 

15 respuestas

Relevancia
  • Phil M
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

Never work under a car supported by a jack. Or even two jacks. Only use properly rated jack stands or ramp supports that you drive up on. There is NO EXCEPTION to this rule.

• Anónimo
    hace 2 meses

My other jack is a Muther of a Rock or a wheel laid flat.  I would rather be alive another day.  It is that important to me.  Or a 12x12 or 16x16 post that is solid.  I would rather jack off my rock or other filler device.   Or you could dig a ditch so your body lays in the ditch with the car above it.  The chance of the earth moving away is like NOPE so you are safe.

35+ year mechanic.  Cars are still HEAVY.

• Anónimo
    hace 2 meses

Pete Andreoli got killed that way. He'd been a trucker for years, got sloppy in his retirement years, did not jack the trailer safely. Short retirement for him. He owed 1/3 of Cotati, a Huge Wake for the old gentleman.

Doesn't matter much if it's a 2200 lb. passenger car or 10,000 # trailer, dead is dead.

• hace 2 meses

always use Jack stands never rely on a Hydraulic jack it creeps down as it's Nature 

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • Fred
    Lv 7
    hace 2 meses

When working under a car you should have the car up on proper stands.  Jacks offer little support if the car moves and I have had a Jack collapse before.  Too may people have died crushed under cars the had only jacked up and having 2 jacks is not likely to save you in most cases.  If you are going to work on cars then buy a proper set of car stands as they are not expensive.  Ask for a set for your Birthday or Christmas as they may just save your life.

• Anónimo
    hace 2 meses

you and your parents are all stupid.

you NEVER rely on a jack as a support. You get JACK STANDS.

And you ALSO set the emergency brake and block the back tires with wheel chocks or bricks or something else.

• hace 2 meses

Trying to distribute weight between jacks is less stable, to visualize why, think of a parallelogram, as the top and bottom move laterally, the parallelogram gets shorter even though the sides stay the same length.

Get jack stands or a pair of ramps, never get under a car that is only supported by a jack.

• hace 2 meses

Falling off one jack could knock the other jack over. However, it seems you lived to tell this story without injury or mishap. Safe measures can prevent trouble. Use ramps or stands.

• J
    Lv 6
    hace 2 meses

Never get under a car held up only by a jack. Always use a jack stand or blocks. Jacks can easily fail. 

• hace 2 meses

I think two is better than one.  They should be position so they are supporting the same amount of weight.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.