D50
Lv 6
D50 preguntado en Entertainment & MusicMovies · hace 3 meses

Who dreamed up Yoda-speak? Was it one of the Star Wars scriptwriters, Lucas himself, or...?

4 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 2 meses

The simple fact is that Yoda is based on a somewhat stereotypical Western view of Japanese / Chinese martial arts masters. For example, isn't Mr. Miyagi in Karate Kid almost the exact same character? And Master Shifu in Kung Fu Panda?

In the Japanese language, verbs are placed at the end of a sentence. So something like "I will go to the shops" in Japanese would be rearranged as "I, the shops, will go". This is the origin of Yoda's backward speaking ... it's a copy of Japanese.

• hace 3 meses

Frank Oz (Yoda's voice and puppeteer) said in an interview that George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan (the director of Empire Strikes Back) developed the general idea and that Oz further refined it.  He did not specify who did what.

Linguistics folks have observed that it generally is just a rewording of sentence to put the object first, followed by the subject-verb combination.  This is VERY rare on Earth, though not completely unheard of.

• hace 3 meses

Details about Yoda are highly secretive, at this time we know nothing of his race, his past or why he speaks that way. Some people guess that maybe basic isn’t his first language and that’s why he says sentences out of order, others say his manner of speaking was modeled after wise Japanese masters, which would make sense considering Lucas was notably a fan of Kurosawa films and based part of the first Star Wars off The Hidden Fortress. But Yoda speaks more oddly then the Japanese, and people surmise that was done on purpose to make him seem even more alien and mysterious. 

• LilyRT
    Lv 7
    hace 3 meses

I was told once that he uses German word order but I don't know if that's right.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.