Is it true that high wind could damage roof without breaking a tile? ?

My new roof was done on 2016 with 5 year warranty, but the same spot is leaking over and over again. 

After the roof company came fixed a few time, they said "Unfortunately the roof is not under warranty any longer since Hurricane Irma back in 2017. We came out the last couple of times as a courtesy. If you read the contract and terms and conditions that any act of God will void the warranty as we can not be held responsible for damages from high winds, hurricanes, etc"

All the tile is good... nothing broke...is it really caused by the hurricane high wind? Or it was a bad job they did? 

Thanks. 

3 respuestas

Relevancia
  • Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

roof was done on 2016 with 5 year warranty,?

THAT MEANS UNTIL 2021

So they are handing you BS because of 2017

Read that contract.

Though, all the tile are good so it should not leak.  If there is no hole in the Umbrella, you don't get wet idea.

I don't believe they have a leg to stand on if you have a 5 year warranty.

But, you must have some damage.??

The SAME SPOT LEAKS OVER & OVER AGAIN.   Then get a handyman up into the attic and find out WTF is leaking and fix it.  TAR will do  No need to go on roof. You can see tiles are not broken.

It is hard to mess up on this kind of job.

Whorecanes will blow in sideways and may even blow off tiles.   I have not had one but would think stone tiles are a bit heavy to move.

• hace 1 mes

my roof also leaked, in two places, after Irma.  and my insurance company denied my claim, saying the damage was less than my hurricane deductible. [fat chance ... roofers wanted many thousands as the total area to be replaced exceeded the maximum permitted by building code for a 'repair'].  the company's workmanship is likely the problem. the way a tile roof is supposed to work, the plastic sheeting they put down [it replaced tar paper] is what actually keeps you dry.  The tile protects the plastic sheeting [and looks a lot better] while keeping most or all of normal rain off the plastic.  What Irma did was push water uphill on your roof [mine, too], getting water under the edges of the tiles and thus onto the plastic. Well, the plastic necessarily has holes in it where the tiles are attached and Irma's strong winds pushed the tiles about, making the holes larger. When the holes enlarged, their edges no longer stuck to the attachments for the tiles that go through the plastic and water can get in through the enlarged holes in the plastic.  then, if there is any leak at all in the tiles themselves [like a cracked or chipped one], water gets on the plastic and goes down the holes -- thus, your roof leaks.

By now, your roofing company has inspected those tiles to a far thee well and can not find any damaged ones.

The effective solution is going to be to expensively take up the tiles in a Vee shape beginning at the leak and going all the way to the ridge line.  then the plastic can be replaced [more likely, just covered over with another layer] and the tiles replaced. The new plastic won't have the overlarge holes in it -- plus the damaged tiles will be detected in the process and replaced.  then your roof won't leak any more.

It is possible that there exists an approved solution of the "coat it with plastic" variety that I don't know about [I know this exists for commercial roofing but tile isn't used for that].  Suggest you call around to insurance agents and contractors asking if this or something similar is both approved and legal.

As to your roofing contract -- read it closely.  My bet is the installation company is off the hook if/when wind speed exceeds the maximum rated by the material manufacturer [the tile maker] -- that's the way my contract reads.  Wind gusts where I live were recorded at 120 mph.  If you're in an area that was more central to, or just to the east of, the hurricane's path, I can easily see that wind gusts likely exceeded 150 mph ... which is what the materials were probably tested to withstand and warrantied for.  If that's the case -- and you didn't file a claim with your homeowner's insurance within the period set out in that policy after the hurricane -- I'm afraid the cost of this expensive work will be on you.  -- Grampa [yes, I'm in Florida, too.]

• P
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

They can't just void the warranty because a hurricane occurred.  They have to provide proof the roof was damaged by the hurricane and not a poor install.  You can have your insurance company come and inspect it for free and they will tell you if it was a bad install or hurricane damage.  Without someone seeing it in person it's impossible to say if they are trying to pull something over on you.  With a tricky leak you often have to go in your attic during a heavy rain and see where the water is coming in.  Also look outside around to see if water is flowing somewhere against the flashing where it could seep in. 

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.