Anónimo
Anónimo preguntado en Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · hace 1 mes

Please help..! Electrical wires almost burning?

Hi.. I have an electrical shower and one of the two wires is getting really hot, I started to notice a smell like plastic burning a few days ago and today when I checked the cables, one has the electrical tape fried.

So why is this happening and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

Attachment image

13 respuestas

Relevancia
  • Robert
    Lv 4
    hace 4 semanas

Supprized to see such a connection like the illustration for an electric shower. Because of the high loading (over 8kW) for an electrical heated shower nowadays the supply cables should be continuous NOT Jointed from the breaker board to the isolation switch and then to the shower unit. May need professional help to get the cables replaced. 

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

If you've not done so already get a sparky to look it over.  I'm big on people being proactive and DIYing but this is one for the pros to determine the cause.  I can think of a few possibilities off the top of my head but you wouldn't be asking this question on this particular site and would have included more very specific information if you were capable of safely sorting this yourself.  I know it's covid and everything but this is definitely one for getting a pro to deal with.  Lucky it's not winter.

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

I'm surprised you are still alive.

It's not a proper installation and could easily cause a fire or electrocution - or both if you were having a really bad day.

The whole lot should be checked over - particularly the supply to the main fuseboard because usually showers NEED their own supply because 'normal' house wiring cable cannot carry the full load.

Then they need their own circuit breaker, and usually a dedicated fuse just before the shower itself - plus a swiched isolator in the bathroom ceiling usually on a pull cord.

Twisting random wires together with some tape just doesn't cut it.

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

That wire connected into something.   What does it look like?  Anyway the connection was poor, so the electricity could not pass through it, causing heat and the fire.  What you need to do is make a proper connection, which may not be possible if the other connector is burned up.  Which would mean you would have to replace whatever device is the other end.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 1 mes

Because a hack made that connection. It needs to be redone and the person responsible for the initial work needs a good kick in the balls or cotch.

• hace 1 mes

likely cause is that the wires are too small for the load they are being asked to carry.  possible others causes -- the load, for some reason unknown to me [damage? wear? age? wrong voltage?], has become larger than designed, thus rendering the wiring too small.  Cables should not be affixed with electrical tape -- use crimpon connectors or wirenuts instead.  For special circumstances [high heat areas, such as under or near an electrical stove burner], wirenuts can also be made of ceramic instead of plastic -- ask for these at your hardware store

• hace 1 mes

It's a loose connection,  sparking and overheating.  

Simple fix is to cut back to a good section of copper (the fried stuff has become very hard) , and put a proper connector block on it. That was just 2 wires twisted together. 

• Rick
    Lv 5
    hace 1 mes

Might be because the wires are too small for the amps your shower is putting through them?  Same situation as running a window air conditioner through  regular household extension cord.  I can`t remember the numbers for the thickness or gauge of the wires.  Just a guess.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Wires are touching each other. Call an electrician to fix it.  Explain as best as you can that it is an electric shower and you see black & green.  He should know he needs insulator tape to fix this.  Let him do it before you die.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Please call a licensed electrician before your house is burned down.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.