Anyone Experienced Racism From a Partner? How Did You Forgive and Move On?

I was born in the west, my father came from Afghanistan and met my mom, a white women.

I was in a relationship for 4 years with my girlfriend(25). I proposed and she accepted but instantly became very distant. She then broke up with me, telling me that her and her mother looked up Afghan culture and she somehow came up with the idea that I was going to take her back to Afghanistan and make her one of 5 wives. I told her that I'm not from the culture and have been openly agnostic. Even being half white with tattoos, I would probably get killed if I went to even visit Afghanistan. 

She told me she didn't want to risk marriage and didn't believe me. Telling me that she would never marry an Afghan. She even went to see a psychic who told her that I would force religion on her if we got married and she believed them!! 

Her mom is half Jamaican and faced alot of racism herself, so I was so shocked that they could have this level of prejudice.

How can I get over this? I feel such anger towards her. Ive faced racism my whole life, and after experiencing it from someone I gave my complete trust to, I'm finding a hard time moving on.

If you've experienced racism, how did you move on? I haven't talked to her in 3 months but in still very upset.

2 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 3 meses

Yes.  I lived with a native woman for about 8 years.   In her life, she had been pretty militant about her culture, and race.  I was different in both.  Sometimes, she let me know!  We eventually split up for other reasons, which were far larger than her racism.

• martin
    Lv 7
    hace 3 meses

You never will change her, if she feels so strongly on the subject.  You have to move forward as a lonely single person, but it may be only temporary.  Mind your business, your education, your job, and your health.  Love will find you again.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.