Why we can't call white americans, European Americans?

There is a difference between a German American and a European American

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Americans

We know there is a difference between an African American and a Nigerian American

8 respuestas

Relevancia
  • Magui
    Lv 6
    hace 4 semanas
    Respuesta preferida

I suppose it is because according to the US Census: "White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa".

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    hace 4 semanas

Because nobody speaks european and  very very few people identify as european.

the term " african-american"  was invented because slaves could not keep their tribal ethnicty, and because " kneegrow" fell out of fashion.

If someone identifies as "german-american" I will assume that I can speak German to them. If someone identifies as dutch-american I will speak Dutch.

A nigerian-american will speak one or more of the hundreds of tribal languages home to Nigeria

• hace 4 semanas

I call myself German-American. Actually, although I'm American by birth, my ethnicity, beliefs, and everything else is German. If forced to choose between Germany and America I will always choose Germany. 

And there really isn't that big of a difference between a German-American and European-American, since Germans ARE European. 

• hace 4 semanas

There is no such thing as African American, German American Asian American or any other foreign American. You are either American or you are not.  Deal with it.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 4 semanas

Because not all white people orginate in Europe

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Lol,

Maybe you should start by learning who’s European first. Americans seem to think Mezoamerican Indios are European Roman Latins.

What language do you think "e pluribus unum" is written in anyway. You'd think US citizens would know their own national motto.

And don’t comment with any Hispanic / Spanish non-sense. Latina isn’t even located in Iberia Hispania (Spain or Portugal) ... and, I'm not even going to bother with that naming mess either.

And for any of you mixed afros and indios reading this, you sent a very clearly "we don’t want to be included" when the Christopher Columbus statues got vandalized.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

we are Americans FIRST ..................................

• hace 1 mes

Why do birds have wings? It just evolved that way. If people want to call themselves that, so be it. 

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.