Anónimo
Anónimo preguntado en Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearPC · hace 1 mes

Can a cpu damage other pc components if its more powerful then the other components?

Im just wondering.

2 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes
    Respuesta preferida

If it's a CPU the motherboard is designed to take, it should not cause any damage regardless of it working or not due to other settings or incompatible RAM etc.

Changing to a CPU that needs more power than the motherboard is rated at could cause damage - eg. using a CPU than needs 150W in a motherboard rated at 95W max could burn up the CPU voltage regulators on the motherboard.

That's why you should always check the motherboard manufacturers CPU compatibility list before changing CPUs.

You could also overload a PC power supply with a higher power CPU and/or a higher power GPU.

That's all down to not complying with the basic ratings of the various parts; stick to compatible and properly rated items and no damage should occur.

• hace 1 mes

The issue is mainly with low end AMD motherboards that you can buy for $50 to 90usd, and pairing them with AMD's higher end processors. But the damage would only be limited to the motherboard and possibly the CPU.

There are/were some cases of low end Socket AM3+ motherboards that would run the 125w FX-8000 series processors, but these boards were rated for 95w TDP processors at the most. Sometimes with these boards might give the user a warning when the systems boots.

There are issues with pairing a Ryzen 9 processors up with AM4 boards that have the a320 chipset, and low end b350 and b450 boards that have weak VRM's.

There are also concerns when pairing something like an Intel Core i9-9900k up with a low end h310 motherboard, or when pairing a Core i7-10700k or Core i9-10900k up with a low end h410 motherboard.

Finally, the Intel Socket 2066 platform became infamous when the first run of the motherboards could barely handle a 14-core Core i9-7940x, let alone a Core i9-7980xe. The cheaper 2066/x299 boards were the ones that were primarily having the issues. The 2nd run of lga2066 motherboards came with beefed up VRM's and larger VRM heatsinks. 

In a lot of cases, the motherboard will throttle or gimp the CPU. Part of the requirements of these Turboboost speeds is the motherboard can handle the heat and power flow. No one ever really talks about this because most people who buy a Ryzen 9 or Core i9 pair it with a more expensive motherboard.

Let me put it to you this way..... My bet is Intel is going to get themselves into a Class Action suit over advertising processors like the 9900k as having a TDP of 95w, or advertising the 10900k as having a TDP of 125w. The power consumption of a 9900k and 10900k under full load is well North of 200w. To recommend a Cooler Master 212 evo or Black Edition to someone with a 9900k, 10700k, or 10900k is foolish advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69jw9i4p4-Y

Youtube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uGL9oMFous

Youtube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSBI11sgsA4

Youtube thumbnail

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.