How can I get contractors to respond to my repair needs?

My house is in need of roofing, masonry and painting. I have contacted numerous contractors. Most do not even return my calls, some do and say they will come to look at the job and never show up. One even went so far as to say he didn't know me. Do some only take jobs from people they know? What's going on?

14 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes
    Respuesta preferida

Try HomeAdvisor or Angie's List--and keep at it. Right now it's nearly impossible to hire contractors. They don't want to come into your home and expose you to illness and they don't want you doing it to them. Just keep trying. I've had the same problem. 

• hace 1 mes

Right not contractors are closed down like the rest of the country.  I have been trying to get an electrical contractor or handyman to my house to switch out some exterior lights for months and a yardman to do the yard using my yard tractor for months and have no luck, even with the referral service like Home Advisors and Angie's List.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Maybe they are busy and your job is TINY, so not worth their time & effort. Mind you roofing is a whole job or nothing. So either they are busy on BIGGER JOBS and you have to keep trying. Or you STIFFED SOME PREVIOUS CONTRACTOR SO YOUR NAME IS OUT THERE ON THE "NAUGHTY" LIST.  Maybe you have to hire a General Contractor to come and look(and he hires the other guys as he needs them.)

Then you do not have to chase after anyone. Your GC does that.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Have you tried calling them?  I do Hvac if you called only reason I wouldn't respond would be I've had issues in the past with you.  Or other's have had issues so bad that word has gotten out.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Ask around for recommendations from friends. You don't really want total strangers in your house, so you need to find people you can trust and are reliable.  If you don't want to pay top dollar, you may need to wait until there is a lull in the amount of work around.

• hace 1 mes

look in yellow pages look on line

• hace 1 mes

I would also say to use angie's list...look for highly rated people with good grades for being professional--I've generally had good luck with them!

• hace 1 mes

They have more work than they need. There is a shortage of skilled workers. I don't know why more people don't go into that work. It pays well. While so many young people whine about no good paying jobs.

• hace 1 mes

Try Angies list (its now free) and these are vetted people. I agree, rather than a contractor, try individual tradespeople.  Also, is there a lot of building in your area? They may be full of jobs. Smaller jobs look for handymen.

• hace 1 mes

It’s probably because of the coronavirus. Most people are afraid to step into someone’s house because they don’t know if they have covid or not. 

Verizon made me answer a bunch of questions before it would even send the cable guy to upgrade my cable. Also said I need to keep at least 6 feet away when he comes into my place. 

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.