Why is the Southeastern United States so homophobic?

I am a straight man who is a native of the Southeastern United and I've never seen a region so homophobic compared to other parts of the country. Luckily the few women I have dated weren't homophobic. Your thoughts?

13 respuestas

Relevancia
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes
    Respuesta preferida

The primary reason is religion.  The southeastern states in the US have the highest levels of religiosity, primarily christianity of some flavor, and christianity is notoriously homophobic and bigoted against LGBT+ people.  There may be other driving factors behind the homophobia and transphobia, but religion is the primary one.  (There is also a strong correlation between the level of religion in the south to the higher levels of poverty, lower levels of education, higher levels of teen pregnancy and repeat teen pregnancy, etc.)

• reme_1
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

too close to the bible belt!!

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Because it's a good and decent region that tolerates no homo!

• hace 1 mes

Ironically, in the 1940s and '50s law enforcement tried to stamp out sodomy in the Deep South. But they they gave up the effort because too many pillars of society were being swept up in the net.

Another Deep South factoid: the isolation of plantation life contributed to much incest, especially among siblings. Whence the definition of "virgin" as someone who can run faster than their brothers.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 1 mes

I'm sorry, I just woke up this morning. Did someone move New Orleans last night? I was born, raised and live here.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Florida is mostly ok. But mostly what you are talking about is the bible belt. Most of the christian denominations there have strict, unrealistic interpretations of the bible. The denominations of chritianity there are not representative of christinaity as a whole, just their specific denomination. Overcoming centuries of a strict interpretation of christianity where people only interpret the bible in a narrow minded way is very hard. For lgbt and lgbt allies seeking a christian path, I suggest pro lgbt churches ie: notalllikethat.org and soulforce.org.

Fuente(s): Out gay Christian living in Florida
  • hace 1 mes

Don't know the Southeastern United States very well, but if that part of the country is more evangelical and fundamentalist than other parts, it is understandable because that kind of "old fashioned religion" (as the song says) preaches hostility toward gays.  Not too long ago, they upheld segregation and certainly were (maybe still are) against mixed marriages.  They can make the Bible say whatever they want it to.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Because they've allowed their minds and hearts to become polluted with evangelical dogma and hate of those that THEY consider to be a sinner.  

Please note not all christians and their denominations condemn lgbt people as sinful.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Because the Southeastern United States is in the Bible Belt. People there will always be homophobic because of what preachers tell them.

• Bob
    Lv 5
    hace 1 mes

I'm honestly of the opinion that most homophobia is rooted in a lack of confidence in one's own sexuality.

Most homophobes are terrified that they themselves might not be completely straight.

A straight man does NOT need to feel afraid of a gay man.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.