Does A level exams have to be answered word for word as the mark scheme wants?

I am currently studying chemistry AQA, and I have heard that A level exam boards are specific in the way the exam questions are answered , almost word for word, and would like some clarity. 

Does this mean that summarises or paraphrasing information from textbooks is incorrect - as it will give the answer in a differently worded way. Does it mean you have to summarises the notes but exactly the way the textbook/revision guide states? Or do you need to take the key points word for word but in a condensed/summarised way?

I shall give an example. If the mark scheme states 'the properties of compounds are different from the properties of the original elements.' However, I wrote 'compounds have properties that differ from its elements.' 

It has left me a bit confused as to whether summarising and paraphrasing the textbooks/revision guides may be incorrect for the exam- even if it helps me better to understand the concepts.

1 respuesta

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes
    Respuesta preferida

Simple answer: no - answers do not need to match word-for-word the mark scheme,

The mark schemes are quite flexible.  Your example answer ("compounds have properties that differ from its elements.") contains the same information as the mark scheme statement "the properties of compounds are different from the properties of the original elements."  So you get the mark.

Providing you can write clear, correct English, you can (and should) use your own words.  Do not attempt to memorise text-book wordings.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.