Anónimo
Anónimo preguntado en Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · hace 1 mes

Why are PhD Mathematicians and Physicists and Computer Scientists so much smarter than the average person?

Like it's not even fair how smart some of these people are

7 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes

They have spent some nine or more years living and working in a culture of intelligence.  Just like someone who moves to Sweden for nine years and picks up Swedish, a person with a PhD is bound to pick up the jargon, the procedures, the thought processes, and the communication skills of those around them.  

I have my PhD in Public Administration and Public Policy.  I am an expert in statistics and research methodology with a textbook used in universities across the country.  The way I think about everything from the presidential election to a new city ordinance is completely different from the pop politics perspective most people have, which nowadays is based on the editorial garbage that deeply biased quasi-celebrities vomit out on their fake news platforms.  TMZ would probably have more accurate information about presidential candidates than CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News.  I am not going to vote for president on the basis of insults hurled by propaganda stirring simpletons (orange orangutan vs. dementia patient), but rather based on the candidate's or incumbent's record.

Smart is a relative term - everyone has their own areas of expertise.  It is just that PhDs have centuries of structure behind them concerning how best to communicate their ideas.

• F
    Lv 6
    hace 1 mes

They are not all that smart otherwise they would earn a lot more money.

• hace 1 mes

I think being well-balanced it the greatest gift, or being adequate at a lot of things; however, I have observed that math-brains are very happy and excited about how numbers and advanced theories work and they enjoy their own involvement in it even if it is at a cost (poor relationships, being considered "nerdy", or envied by others).

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

No idea as my son comes from a normal family here in the UK and has a PhD in Physics. Both of his sons are exceptional at Maths taking Maths exams for 16 year olds (GCSEs) at age 10. Their Maths skills are off the scale, they just enjoy playing with numbers.

Myself,and their Father, are very average.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 1 mes

Fairness has very little to do with it. Many Ph.Ds may not be that much smarter than most people. Yes some Ph.D. are gifted or geniuses. The three things that getting a master's degree requires are persistence and patience and a willingness to tolerate a lot of administrative red tape, otherwise known as.B.S. or crap. The the fourth thing is stubbornness or self respect. Self respect is VERY different from self esteem. 

Survival of the fittest and genetics as well as environment and exposure at a young age and curiosity that does not get smothered early are also factors.

I had a lot of advantages. Both of my parents had graduate science degrees. They were older parents as well. They never ever treated me like I was a dumb little kid. I was encouraged to read. Even when I started reading science fiction in my mother's home town library in junior high school, which my mother did NOT like, at least I was reading. We did NOT have a TV when we were in my mother's hometown. 

While I didn't think it was a disadvantage or a handicap, I was also a type 1 diabetic since I was 2 years old. My parents assumed from before I was born I would go to college. I have no clear memories of NOT being diabetic. There were NO computers while I was growing up. My mother may have thought I might not live to graduate from college. but I did. I've graduated 4 times. Yes, I did struggle in graduate school. I could have gone on to a Ph.D., but that would have meant going to a third university. For various reasons, that did not happen.  

I've survived. I am still alive and kicking. but I have no siblings, no boyfriend or husband (yet, but I doubt Prince Charming will find me in this incarnation), no children or grand children or great grand children. I've met people who are very likely geniuses, but they have a high school education or less and a LOT of job and life experience that I do not have. They are survivors. 

You have skills and talents you may not know you have right now. You don't really know WHO you are right now separate from your parents and siblings. That process can take decades, IF you survive. You may get to the point you don't care much about what others think about you. You may not like teach other, but you can still be civil to each other. 

• hace 1 mes

They're not. They have a certain kind of intelligence. Don't you watch Big Bang Theory? It shows how physicists are smart about some things and dumb about others. We tend to think that people who do things we can't do are smarter. But they may envy what we can do. Mathematicians may envy good writers and wonder how they can do it. 

• Nicey8
    Lv 5
    hace 1 mes

Maybe it is their genetics; maybe their parents are smart and rich.

Their parents may have exposed them to much science in infancy, childhood and many books and powerful computers when young.

Nature plus nurture is the key.

Do not worry. You have your own talents. Those genius may lead lonely lives and a few may have problems managing their emotions. 

You could be friendly, carefree and cheerful and gifted in other areas.

Do not compare.

life - different strokes, different people make up the diverse world.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.