Anónimo
Anónimo preguntado en Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · hace 1 mes

Why do white people move Everytime I sit down?

First, I'm black and now over 40. I don't stink, I don't drink, I look average, I have a degree, I look average, I don't dress thug or exoctically in any way such as purple hair etc. I just look like an ordinary black man. I'm not loud nor abnoxious.  But for over 20 years now I've noticed that when white people are chilling in the park for example when I sit down nearby they move within a few minutes. Now I know it's not me, I feel it's due to my race plus my gender.  I can usually predict that within a few minutes they will get up and move. I swear I don't say do anything rude or obnoxious, not even my appearance. I don't say anything to them, nothing It never fails.  I'm not asking because I'm unsure of what I'm experiencing I'm just asking to hear other opinions. It happened again to day and I knew they would move even though I was more that 6ft away. This is NOT due to social distancing because I've noticed this for 20 years or more. 

Actualización:

Even as I was going to sit down in the park I was asking myself how long would it take before they packed up and moved.  There were not many other places in the park to sit.  The guy kept looking over to look at me. As usual he seemed uncomfortable then they packed up and moved. I was not shocked because it happens all the time. The area is a predominantly liberal area at least on the surface but I've noticed this on every state I have lived in and I've noticed it for over 20 years now. 

Actualización 2:

And I grew up in the northeast. 

Actualización 3:

It's so predictable that I can set my watch to when they will move, usually within 10 minutes and I can see them feeling uncomfortable.i usually see them watching me from my periferal vision. 

And I ask why they move when "I" sit down, only because I'm not trying to speak for all black people but I'm 100% sure it's not just me.    

Actualización 4:

And based on my experience, only white people do this. 

Actualización 5:

I swear, you post a comment here in Y. A. and psychos come out of the woodwork. 

Actualización 6:

FYI to the jerks saying that its just paranoia in order to be ignorant.  I'm actually hoping that it is just paranoia because even subtle racism is far more serious. And whites have always claimed that racism blacks encounter is just paranoia unless it's caught on video. 

Actualización 7:

To Lily:. 1 I'm proud to be over 40 and I assume most people's goal is to become over 40.  And you might want to check out a new invention called a smartphone anywhere you are so you don't need to stay home to post questions.  And you're either a stalker yourself but I think you work for Y. A. because you were able to disable the ability to reply to your ignorant statement because your scared to hear a reply to your ignorant statement. And last I checked YA encourages participation.  

Actualización 8:

Lily: if you don't like people posting questions, don't come here or get another job and stop bitching about participation. 

Actualización 9:

To Lily: Or maybe you're ignorantly assuming YA is just for kids. 

Actualización 10:

Folks, I often get mistaken for a police officer due to my clean cut appearance. 

25 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes

it's not based about race but sometimes I do not want to be near people haha

• Paul
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

Where I live, nothing like that is likely to happen. Of course a few bigots can be found in any large population.  Walk through the park here and you will see people of various ethnic origins sitting together, having picnics together.  In fact, two of my best friends, one black, the other white, always sit together. Which you would expect since they are married to each other.

• hace 1 mes

I live in Queens NY in a diverse neighborhood, and I never do this. I usually spend 1 to 2 hours sitting in the same spot and I only moved one time a month ago when one of my fellow crazy Russians came up to me and coughed on me. I'm around Black people all the time, I have no reason to be uncomfortable. As a White person I will say it probably is because you are Black, and I'm so sorry that is how you get treated. I think what people don't want to say, and I learned this from my racist grandma, is that older white people don't think they are being impolite when they act subtly racist because they think everyone does it. In my view it's just another thing the white baby boomer generation doesn't see they are wrong about.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

it might not be you, maybe they had to go somewheres

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 1 mes

People are sh*t. Not just towards dark skinned people. I remember when I was obese, I had the same treatment. Just buttheads trying to prove how 'superior' they are by treating a total stranger like that. My point is - it's not 'racism' - I'm white - but I was obese. And I'd say I probably got treated worse than you (I was spat on TWICE in the street, called names) You just want to hide /be outraged about 'racism' and refuse to accept people are just buttheads sometimes and your skin colour has nothing to do with it! It was my obesity that triggered it against me. Beating your chest, ignoring slights against other people who aren't coloured, does nothing for your cause.

• hace 1 mes

As you said yourself, in your very reasonably-stated post, you are a man, and you are black. For many people it's enough for you to be just ONE of those categories; for people who feel that way, your being BOTH is just too much for them to handle.

This is a sad fact of life, and I don't know what to suggest, except perhaps that you should try to look more as if you have a purpose in being there, perhaps to read a newspaper or to write a shopping list!It would do no harm - I think - to nod in a friendly manner as you sit down, but from then on make no attempt at eye contact.

And bear in mind this happens to a lot of men who aren't black, too.

EDIT to add: I'm a white woman. One evening I was walking home alone along a fairly quiet but not deserted street. Hearing people coming up behind me, I moved my shoulder bag to be against my chest instead of hanging on my hip.Immediately one of the people shouted, "Yo *****, I saw what you did, just because we're black".BUT - I hadn't looked round; I had no idea it was two men, far less any idea that they were black. In my view I was just taking a sensible precaution. But they saw it as racism. I don't see how I could have acted any differently in the circumstances.

• hace 1 mes

Some people form a perception and thIs becomes their point of reference, without flexibility or open-mindedness.  Best you can do is engage in conversation with Caucasian people to ascertain better the basis of this behavior.  If you have any Caucasian friends/co-workers/neighbors, speak with them and if you feel it necessary, try to breakdown some social stereotypes through your own conduct and attitude.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

This sadly does occur in some places still. I've seen it also. The best I can offer is Black Lives Matter. I support structural and societal change, but am concerned about violence in some protests apparently fueled by both left wing and right wing radical people. I am white, and do personally avoid some people of threatening appearance of all ethnicities and races, and especially anyone carrying a firearm of any race.

I hope you don't mind, a goal of BLM is to be able to discuss it.

• arther
    Lv 5
    hace 1 mes

Have you ever said hello? do you have any white friends ask them?

• hace 1 mes

We've noticed that too about black people.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.