Makena preguntado en PetsReptiles · hace 3 meses

How to protect sharp tailef snakes in my garden?

We have a pesticide free year in Northern California and while I was getting rid of crabgrass today, I pulled a border stone up and found 2 little pink snakes. I put the stone back and researched, and found ouf they are baby sharp tailed snakes, which are threatened due to loss of habitat in CA. I added a few more big rocks nearby to provide additional hiding space, but does anyone know any other ways i can make my garden more welcoming for the snakes?

3 respuestas

Relevancia
  • Anónimo
    hace 3 meses

They eat slugs, and they like moist habitats. In the wild, I have found them near a stream and also a pond. I suggest keeping your garden regularly watered and don't use snail or slug pellets.

• Anónimo
    hace 3 meses

I've seen those things too, I respect them but the way they squirm around when you lift a rock up is kinda creepy

• Dv8s
    Lv 7
    hace 3 meses

I also live in no. cal. and found the sharp tailed snake, or  Contia tenuis in my yard, gardening.  At first I thought it was a earth worm, but upon observation of its movement I realized it was a snake.  Most gardeners appall the sight of slugs in their gardens but that's what the Contia tenuis feed on.  I guess I'll be more tolerant of slugs, now that I know they have a purpose other than eating my plants.  What you're doing is perfect, keep up the good work, and I shall do the same.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.