Help with turntable set up?

Hi, I am just getting into vinyls and turntables. I have recently bought a Sony PS-LX150H turntable and without doing proper research didn't realise I would need an amp (or pre amp/phono amp?) and that my speakers would not be good enough. So I am looking for a helping hand on which amps and speakers would be recommended. As I am a student I would like to do thing fairly cheaply and on budget, thanks 

3 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes

You need a stereo “hifi amplifier” like everyone had in the late sixties onwards and which lots of us still have. It will have inputs on the back that might be marked CD, Tape, Aux etc. 

If it has an input marked “Phone” then that's where you connect your turntable. If not, you need a separate phone preamp (if your turntable doesn't have one - some of the newer ones do). The turntable connects to the preamp and the preamp connects to your amplifier (connect to the Aux input).

The amplifier is then connected to a matching pair of speakers. They need to be the correct impedance (measured in ohms) and be able to handle, comfortably, the output of the amplifier (measured in watts). This information might be marked on the back of the amplifier.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Turntables do require an amplifier. A preamp is the part of the amplifier that handles inputs such as CDs, LPs, VCR, or TV. The power amp just has one job and that is to take the signal the preamp sends it and amplify it so it is able to make sound out of the speakers. The preamp needs to have RIAA equalization built in to handle LPs because the LPs are made with RIAA equalizatoin. Those that have the RIAA equalization have an input named "Phono" That is where you plug the output from the turntable into. If you already have an amp, then look for a button titled phono and phono jacks in the rear. LP records do not require better speakers than CDs so if you like the sound coming out of your speakers when you listen to them playing CD or MP3 music, then they are good enough for LPs.

If music from your LP sound worse then it is the fault of your vinyl LPs, not your speakers and changing speakers will not make your LPs sound better. Getting a better phono catridge (e.g. one that is made by Shure) will improve the sound, but make sure your turntable allows you to change the phono cartridge before shopping for one.  Good speakers merely reproduce sound accurately and without distortion. Of course if you don't like your speakers, you can definitely upgrade to better ones. The job of an amplifier is to provide enough power to drive the speakers you have. Many of the best speakers are not very sensitive (because good bass requires a lot of power) so a more powerful amp may be needed if you get better speakers. In general I recommend American designed amps like Adcom or Harman Kardon because they are able to handle good speakers better than Japanese amps, because American designed amps can handle the low impedance (as low as 2 ohms) and high current requirements of good speakers. Japanese amps often shutdown or they even get permanently damaged by speakers that draw a lot of current from them because they have low impedances. If you are looking for good speakers on a budget, I suggest getting JBL, Polk Audio or Infinity speakers.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.