Anónimo
Anónimo preguntado en Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · hace 1 mes

Question about the Iliad and the Odyssey?

I was wondering, in the story, why were all the suitors so desperate to marry Queen Penelope that they stayed at the palace for years on end, competing with 108 other guys on the faint hope Penelope would chose them from the lot, IF she chose any of them at all?

It couldn't have been to gain more wealth. Their presence was squandering the treasury and rapidly depleting the livestock to the extent there was practically nothing left by the time Odysseus returned.

It couldn't have been for power. I don't think that marrying the queen would automatically make them king.

If Odysseus was declared dead and Penelope remarried, then I'm pretty sure that Odysseus's son, Telemecus would have become king, and the selected suiter would just be some guy who is married to the King's mother. 

1 respuesta

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes

One of two prominent suitors vying for Penelope’s hand in marriage, the other being Eurymachus, Antinous is presented as a violent, mean-spirited, and over-confident character who willfully defiles Odysseus’ home while the hero is lost at sea. In an attempt to kill Telemachus, the son of Odysseus and Penelope, Antinous sends out a small band of suitors in the strait between Ithaca and rugged Same where there is a rocky isle called Asteris, to intercept the young prince on his journey back to Ithaca from the hall of Menelaus. The plan, however, fails, as Telemachus avoids the trap with help from the goddess Athena.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.