My apartment lost electricity for 5 days because of a bad weather storm. Can I deduct money from my rent for those 5 days? ?

32 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes

Huh? Your landlord is not responsible for power outages that are beyond their control, why would you think they should pay?

• hace 1 mes

No, you cannot. Power outages due to utility company equipment failure are never the responsibility of a landlord.

• hace 1 mes

The electric company serving your area would likely give you an adjustment on your electric bill, Dan. However, if you did notify the apartment complex management when the outage first occurred, but the management team did nothing to make sure the problem was fixed right away, then you could perhaps negotiate a credit for the inconvenience and any food lost due to no refrigeration or freezing.  It's probably worth a try unless you think the managers might later retaliate in some way.  

• ron h
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

You might have a (weak) case ONLY if electricity is included in your rent.  If your apartment was too hot and you had to stay with friends, they might give you some "help."    If you pay an electric bill directly to an electic company, call them.  You MIGHT be able to be repaid if food in your refrigerator spoiled. 

If a storm caused it, you wouldn't win $ if you sued. 

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 1 mes

How is this your landlords fault?  No you can't deduct your rent for this.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Did you have a roof over your head? Apartments are not responsible for what happens to utilities, especially for “acts of god”.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Uhhh.....rent is what you pay for a place to live.   You had a place to live.   

So what's your question again?

• hace 1 mes

Of course not. "Maybe" if it was an issue with the apartment complex, you might have a case.....

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Not likely.......read your lease.

• hace 1 mes

No, of course not. What makes you think the landlord is responsible for the weather?

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.