A band you consider to be your solitary pleasure? A band that none of your friends know of or could get into, something all yours?

...and if you could share a song or two you enjoy by them, that'd be great!

20 respuestas

Relevancia
  • RockIt
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes
    Respuesta preferida

Renaissance - '70s prog rock band from UK.

Running Hard

Sounds of the Sea

Prologue

Bound For Infinity

Annie Haslam, One of the best relatively unknown female vocalists from the 70s.

• hace 4 semanas

Aloha Livin’!

I love Type O Negative.  I don’t admit that to others.  Sure, they are like a cartoon in many ways...but the music?  So good.  Heavy, distorted guitars, vocal harmonies that rival any, great keyboards, drumming perfectly suited to the style.  Some silly themes...but a lot of daring themes that aren’t silly at all.

Some favorites:

Christian Woman (long version)

Creepy Green Light

Haunted (so unique)

Stay Out of My Dreams (Subject: Incest)

Life Is Killing Me (indictment of the medical profession)

Nettie (beautiful ode to Peter Steele’s mother)

Love You To Death (the definitive Type O song...a classic)

• hace 4 semanas

Oh hell what a great question.  20 times beyond the "what is your favourite song" drivel, and 20 times better.  And I have an answer you're going to totally hate.

Dolly f**kin' Parton is my guilty solitary pleasure.  I'm a confirmed 80s metal-head, which means the gods I kneel to are Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Judas Priest, and Motley Crue.  But I can't lie, I love Dolly.  She writes her own material, she plays a mean guitar, and that friggin' voice.  

Don't tell the guys in my band I said this.

• hace 1 mes

Oh boy Livin', here we go again (with no simple answer from me). Sorry! There's a few that I listen to that I enjoy but my friends could go either way so pretty sure they don't know their music. I tend to NOT keep music to myself. So a band none of my friends (or even strangers, like here) know about - well, they'll probably hear about it from me because I want to share the music I love and the joy I get from it (but I try not to share music with a person who isn't into certain music just because I like it).

Number 1 goes to Red. An immensely talented band with such a diverse sound to their music - this band REALLY needs to be sampled because they have a core that is them, but are all over the place at the same time - such variety.

LET IT BURN

THE EVER

Did your say you need some classical to mix it up?

HYMN FOR THE MISSING

Wait, I was mistaken, you wanted some tunes influenced by old school heavy metal?

PERFECT LIFE

Demon Hunter:

TRYING TIMES

DEAD FLOWERS

Earshot:

FALL APART

WHERE THE PAIN BEGINS

Two musicians who were mine, but I've been kind enough to share (😉😄) because I knew a couple friends would like them:

Thousand Foot Krutch:

COURTESY CALL

FLY ON THE WALL

WAR OF CHANGE

Zayde Wolf:

HEROES (GENERDYN REMIX)

GLADIATOR

THE CROWN

(Sorry for any repeat songs/musicians from previous answers. 

Also, didn't share links because of all the problems YA! Is having with them not displaying right.)

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • mars
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

Henry Cow (Avant-Garde/Exp. Jazz-Rock) eg 'Legs', or 'Nirvana For Mice'.

• hace 1 mes

I don't have any friends. 

• hace 1 mes

Colwell-Winfield Blues Band. 

They recorded one album for Verve-Forecast in 1968, now reissued on CD on the Akarma (Italy) label (thank you, thank you!). A great album of blues and jazz from a group of solid players. In 1970, a bootleg of some live show from Boston came out. Still, it wasn't impressive as a few band members had left and been replaced during that period. Although the two sax players, Jack Shroer and Collin Tilton, went on to play with Van Morrison (Moondance), the band was never to be heard from again.

"Got a Mind"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_gDw7TQ59o

Youtube thumbnail

"Free Will Fantasy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOY53jnFx8w

Youtube thumbnail

• hace 1 mes

I keep a special place for Laura Nyro. She wrote the music of an entire generation. Others became famous using her tunes. But not many know all the songs she wrote and gave the world. In the 70s many of the songs played on the radio were Laura Nyro's tunes done by others.

* For instance Eli's Coming which Three Dog Night recorded was one of her songs.

"Stoned Soul Picnic" this was recorded by The Fifth Dimension.

The list of songs she wrote we know by others use is astounding. I have albums of HER singing and playing her songs, I honestly end up with tears in my eyes listening to her. She passed so young, such a shame : (

Please have a look. Only a suggestion Brother Livin ...... after listening to a few when finished end up with "Up on the Roof". That is the one that REALLY gets me.

• Binks
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

Oh no Livin', I shouldn't open that can of worms. It would be like opening Pandora's box, but since you insist. Way too many bands to choose from, but I'm choosing this one. Meet Bubblemath. They are out there, from the Cuneiform label, home of a subgenre called R.I.O. (Rock In Opposition). Insane genius. Should have posted them sooner.

The Sensual Con

A Void That I Can Depart To

Thus as with Pandora's box, the only entity remaining was hope. Peace, hope, and cheers, as always.

P.S. A few other bands you might want to explore

Magyar Posse

Giant Squid

Pinback

• hace 1 mes

Ian Dury & The Blockheads

Dury was an excellent lyricist and his band was loaded with talent. Keyboardist Chas Jankel was the main collaborator.

"Inbetweenies"

https://youtu.be/g2y8SSsoYUw

Youtube thumbnail

"Sweet Gene Vincent"

https://youtu.be/-0_eKQOchpg

Youtube thumbnail

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.