What genre does most of the music you enjoy come from and can you describe that genre?

...No technicality needed, I wouldn't understand it anyway :) Just what's important about it to you. I will do an example below:

Most of the music I enjoy comes from Dreampop. I don't like all of it, but when it's done right to my mind the sound is warm, fuzzy and a little bit messy- just like my mind. The ethereal vocals speak to me as if they're the voice of my conscience or guardian angel. It makes me feel safe and in my own World.

26 respuestas

Relevancia
  • Binks
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes
    Respuesta preferida

Hey Livin', talking with you for a while has probably been one of my most rewarding experiences when it comes to music. I would say that progressive rock is my genre, though I try to avoid the genre trap. My mindframe when it comes to music is basically virtuosity without convention. I always need to hear something new, and when bands start emulating other bands, it just sounds like repeats. I don't want to hear a 100 bands that sound like one particular band. I need a great rhythm section to hold my interest. I love instrumental music, but not to say that I don't like singers, but I am very fussy about singers. They need to make a connection with me, whether it be how they sing, or what they sing about. I never know who I'll like until I hear them. Musicianship usually does the talking (or in this case, singing) for me. As a minister once told me, music is the language of worship. That's why people react to music like they do. It's their act of worship. One of the deepest things I ever heard. If you want to hear a piece that speaks to my soul, play this one. It's been known to bring a tear to my eyes at times.

Jakob - Blind Them With Science

Peace, friend. 

• Well, I'm sort of a progressive-jazz-funk-electronica person.

Nothing I love more than listening (or seeing) a bunch of musical super-players jamming their a$$ off...

• hace 1 mes

Back before radio became irrelevant to me, it was rock music in general, with 70s sub-genres like progressive rock and country rock (as exemplified by bands like Eagles, Poco and a few others), with lesser interests in folk and folk-rock and surf music.

Now, my interests are much wider and I get none of it from the once-traditional sources of AM and FM radio.  Through going to see local musicians live, I've been exposed to the Americana genre, which invariably incorporates elements of folk, blues and jazz.  Through a couple of Pandora stations I made for certain of my favorite bands from the '70s progressive era, I was exposed to a new wave of surf music, purely instrumental and reverb-heavy guitar, and other guitar-oriented rock, the likes of Eric Johnson, the Hellecasters, Steve Morse, Larry Carlton...a very diverse bunch where you will find elements of almost any American style of music.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

I used to have a Guttermouth t-shirt.  It had the band name (Guttermouth) on the front, and on the back it said:

PUNK ROCK

noun

1. A loud, fast, and deliberately offensive style of rock music

Haha!  I loved that shirt.

I love punk rock.  Punk makes me feel good, even when I'm having a rotten day.  But I have hundreds and hundreds of CDs which, ripped onto my computer, is almost 50GB of music.  So I like A LOT of stuff, not just punk.  I also dig ska, jazz, reggae, blues, metal, industrial, electronica, world, hip-hop, and a bunch of other genres.  But punk is probably my favorite.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 1 mes

I like classic rock and the music speaks for its self.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Soul music...it's full of feeling and the artists can actually sing without screaming and shouting.

• hace 1 mes

Folk music just hits the right spot for me. Especially 60's-70's Folk and Indie Folk. Folk music one of those genres that can appears in many forms, it can be happy, thoughtful, dreamy, nostalgic, sad. It can even have an aggressive side if you listen to the music of Keaton Henson for example. It seems that there's always a folk song for any moods I'm in.

• RockIt
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

I'll answer differently.  FM Radio in the '70s.  

Mostly Rock, Hard Rock, Progressive Rock, Soul, R&B, and some Pop and Soft Rock, a little Punk.

Pretty much in that order.  The '70s music.

• hace 1 mes

I have very diverse tastes in music, but if I had to pick just one, it would be Psychedelic Rock.

Fuzztones, phasing, 'effects' of all sorts started to come into play, along with extended instrumental workouts. Though those alone won't necessarily make a particular tune 'psychedelic.' Lyrics need to become much more abstract - or sometimes weird.

I think the first use of the word in a musical context was either the Blues Magoos "Psychedelic Lollipop" lp (1966) or The Thirteenth Floor Elevators "Psychedelic Sounds" lp (1966).

The Blues Magoos lp was more garage than psychedelic (though the front cover was a great piece of early psych cover art). The one exception on that lp might be their Yardbirds-styled workout on "Tobacco Road," which was featured on the original "Nuggets" compilation from 1972. None the less, I'm sure you could easily hear "We Ain't Got Nothin' Yet" on a psych program, though "Pipe Dream" and "There's a Way We Can Make It" from the following year are truer psych, but rarely played.

The Elevators were more psych, IMO. Flipped-out vocals, 'effects' (a jug!), though they didn't have the guitar chops to go into extended instrumental improvisations.

It is hard to define -- even if you know it when you hear it.

• hace 1 mes

My likes are diverse. 90% of the music I own gets zero airplay on commercial radio. So glad to have the internet. Otherwise it was local college stations and public radio. When something catches my ear I start digging. 

Blues in general and Chicago style blues is my main genre. I’m fortunate to know a few musicians personally. 

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.