Anónimo
Anónimo preguntado en Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · hace 1 mes

Are me and my partner common law? ?

I live in canada, She lives in U.S we have been together for a year and 3 months we have met twice I really want to visit her but this pandemic is going around we are engaged and I planned to see her August and the only way we can is if we are married or common law. Anyone know of a way I could see her ):

13 respuestas

Relevancia
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

In Canada a couple has to live together and share finances for two years to be considered a domestic partnership. In the US this varies by state and some states don't even recognize common-law partners. But in all of them you have to live together for a number of years. So no, you're not common-law and if you've only met in person twice you're barely even a couple by typical standards. Yes, there are travel restrictions owing to the pandemic and a lot of people are having trouble with that. You've managed to get to the point of engagement without seeing each other other than online so just continue it that way until things calm down with COVID-19. 

• hace 1 mes

You are 17 in your other questions.

The two of you haven't "been together for a year and 3 months" you've met twice.Anyone still counting the months of a relationship is very young.You ask here, instead of Googling the answer about common law marriage in Canada yourself.Correctly asked, it would be, "Are my partner and I married by common law?"All these things point to a child posting the question, rather than an adult.

ETA: since you neglected to do it yourself, I looked it up for you. Canada doesn't recognize common law marriage like a few states in the U.S. do.

• hace 1 mes

No,you are not common law married. Impossible to do so while you both are living in different countries.

• Trish
    Lv 5
    hace 1 mes

Does she live in a common law state and have you spent at least one night in the same bed under the same roof...if so you are common law in a common law state.  Look up common law states and their requirements.  Does anyone have to know you are going to visit her...but don't listen to me I am a bit scandalous today.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

stupid idiot is engaged after a year together and 2 meetings lmao

laws do not care about your online "relationship"...

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

You are neither.  Do face time or on Messenger to see each other.  Common law is not legal in most states and its years and years of being togther (like more then 10). 

• hace 1 mes

No. Most US states don't even recognise common-law relationships, and in Canada, you'd have to have lived together for at least a year. You are two teens who have met twice.

• hace 1 mes

You're not anything - being engaged is not married in any form.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Right now you are NOT considered as common law. Get a cohabitation agreement written up by a lawyer.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

NO you are not common law. Some states require living under the same roof for a period of 7 years to classify as common law. No clue how you can see her. 

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.