Anónimo
Anónimo preguntado en PetsDogs · hace 1 mes

How can I make "come here" a good thing for my dog WITHOUT constant treating?

So since we got him, he's been easily to train; sit, stay, etc., but for whatever reason, "come" is still a hard one for him. It's off and on. I don't want to keep treating him every single time to make him come to us. Some days, he will without issue, but MOST days, he won't and seems to be scared of us...? I don't know why.

So he'll need to get wiped down, or I need to check his ears or something, and I say "Come here, good boy!" and nothing. I'll say "Come on [name]!" all happy and chipper, and he comes slowly, reluctantly almost, with his tail tucked like he's getting a beating. I have no earthly idea why he does this! Even just a come here for pets or something, and the same thing! I do end up going over to him most of the time now.

I just wish he would come when called without fear or getting treats, because he's at the age where he should KNOW. Stay, sit, go are all done with haste and pep and no treats. Why is he so scared of the command "come?" Can someone enlighten me?

Actualización:

We had him from 5 months. We don't know much about what happened from birth to 5 months. He's a little over a year now. He is all kinds of excited when we come home and he's outside, or playing happily inside. No issues with pottying, chewing things he's not supposed to, none of that. Other than "come here," he's a perfectly normal dog. He gets OVERLY excited at walks all the time.

Actualización 2:

Also, he loves being pet on the couch or when relaxing. He'll do his "I want belly rubs" stretch and can't get enough. Everywhere we are, he has to be. I get tail wags and "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN???", even after a 2 minute bathroom trip, LOL. 

6 respuestas

Relevancia
  • PR
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes
    Respuesta preferida

I found treats to be very useful, and even in dog training classes they suggest keeping small treats in your pocket. We have owned:

A lab mix

A Border Collie 

A Boxer Pit Bull mix

A Malamute mix

Helped train a Poodle mix.

We have used treats to help train each one of them. A dog of only one year is quite young and still learning. A dog of only one is a youngster.

Use praise and treats. Sometimes we would sit on the couch and hold treats, asking the dogs to sit. Once sitting, we would give them a treat. Of course, they were elated and happy to comply. This was a lesson, and an easy one. 

For the lesson of, "Come", we always asked for the dog to come, and then praised the dog, in an excited manner. Using a treat will reinforce that you are still rewarding the dog. Remember that dogs share their meals with the ones that are their family. A treat is sharing with the dog, and showing approval.

Besides these things, squat down to encourage a dog to come to you. This shows you are not a threat, but on an equal level. A dog you know will nearly always come to this, as long as you are using an uplifting voice and praise the dog, no matter what the dog did, whether it ran off, got into the trash, etc. If you scold or correct the dog upon it coming to you, the dog will not be inclined to repeat this behavior. This is survival.

It takes time for a dog to be reliable for the "come" command. This is why a dog should be on a lead while outdoors, nearly all the time, until fully trained which can take up to two years with proper attention to the training during that time.

Another aid in helping a dog understand boundaries, as well as the "come" command is to use a long rope on the dog when it is outside. Let the dog get near the boundary, then step on the rope to stop the dog. Say, "Stay", or "No, come", and pull the dog back to you. Praise the dog and treat the dog.

There is nothing wrong with treats as you are training a dog of this young age. Just, make them small treats.

Three separate trainers and how they teach the "come" command:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwldfBjFsdE

Youtube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux8iKX-PZqI

Youtube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QonpHq930Rk

Youtube thumbnail

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

The secret is consistency.  I have NEVER used treats to train a dog, and many of my dogs were rescues.

I NEVER called a dog to punish him/her or correct him/her.  For that purpose I went to the dog.  But when I called a dog and it came to me I was lavish with praise.

If the word "come" panics the dog, try something else.  One of my dogs - a GSD - is easily distracted, and she knows the meaning of "look at me."  If I say "look at me" and she makes eye contact, she does what she's told to do.  Without that, as I said, she's distracted.  The "look at me" was accompanied by me pointing at my eyes.  Now if she's looking and I point at my eyes I have her complete attention without saying a word.

• hace 1 mes

You need to work with a long line.  You can google 'how to teach a dog to come to you?', "recall using longline.'  You can find more information by googling 'basic obedience',  that is part of the training during basic obedience.  Recall is hard for some dogs.  Don't treat him with a tasty treat, praise him, praise him to high heaven, he did good, tell him he did good.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

Could be a number of reasons

The command 'come' may have negative connotations...maybe from previous owners. 'come' and its name should NEVER be used when anything negative happens and lots of dogs don't like nail clipping/ear cleaning... so no name , no come, get up and go and get the dog, in silence to do those things

He may not understand what 'come' means...for ANY training action you ALWAYS teach action first BEFORE you attach a command word to it, and you could also be confusing the dog by simply talking too much ( they do not speak or undertand human language) just an action attached to a command and tone of voice and can read your body lanaguge

Just some incite :

"He gets OVERLY excited" ...over excitment is nerves/anxiety,  "his tail tucked" is fear/anxiety, just remove his tail from between his legs and onto the outside of his leg this is a way of changing how he feels by changing his body more into balance, much the same as if a person has a headache and they lower their head and frown, while breathing, relaxing their face muscles and straightening, it might not totally stop the headache but it eases it

Be clear, he is not a 'good boy' until you get what you are asking for and by saying good boy you are ending the command  and many people make this simple mistake espeically when they are doing recalls when they see the dog coming towards them they say good boy before they have hands on the dog and the dog stops or runs pass as the dog has been told( commanded) it is end of action wanted

So give yourself a break, put him on a lead and let it trail, when you want him to 'come' from the next couple of weeks, get up, lift the lead and gently pull it and say come walking backwards and praise but only once you are back in the seat/position you want him, he will learn quickly as he can't make a mistake as you are showing him what you want.

Dogs work harder to get a treat if you do not gift them each and every time, if you ( not him) wish to train with treats hold it in your fingers tight and if he does well ( and he will as you are stopping him getting it wrong) he may get to sniff the treat or even lick the treat.

Stop confusing him with lots of information, keep it simple  so no talking ( except command words and good boy), no touching ( him) or looking ( directly at him, dog can see this as agreesive/confrontational), so look at him but blink, or look past him, or look and turn your head sideways slowly....which is non confrontational

............and today start NILIF as that will build his confidence, reduce his anxiety, make you a stronger pack leader ( which he needs)

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 1 mes

So you do not supply the dog's background; whether ADOPTED (with potential emotional baggage) or if bought as a 7-8 week old puppy (and if so, - how well socialized before 16 weeks).  Therefore, this makes your question difficult to answer correctly.

(Ideally "COME" should be THE VERY FIRST THING TAUGHT - since it can save a dog or puppy's LIFE.)  You are NEVER supposed to call the dog TO YOU for anything BAD or scary - like: ear cleaning, nail trimming, flea spray, washing, or any punishment, etc.  "COME" is ALWAYS to be POSITIVE.  Any of this done (esp when the dog was a puppy - and in a fear period) can be ESPECIALLY negative and have long term consequences - like what you describe.

I suspect either you or somebody who had the dog BEFORE you did - made "COME" scary at some point, or made the dog go through something it intensely DISLIKED.

The only possible way around this now, if to FLOOD the dog with POSITIVE OUTCOMES on every single come.  Dog must be given LOTS of opportunities (on leash for now) to Come & needs to be REWARDED or even JACK-POTTED) with either a very HIGH VALUE treat or a really special FUN TOY. 

Running FROM your dog & then asking him to catch you - rather than just standing and facing him, may also be MORE positive for him.  There may be too much EYE contact (seen as a threat or intimidation) - if the dog is called directly FACING you.  If dog is on lead - look PAST the dog or over his shoulder NOT into his eyes.  Also try "round robin" come calling, where two, three, or group of 4 people stand in a circle and take TURNS calling the dog to them TREATING & then releasing.... so dog needs to go to another person - quickly.  Yes it can be done on lead (if needed) to begin with, if you have a LONG LINE (perhaps with a weighted canvas dummy on the end) you can toss to the next person.

• hace 1 mes

This is worrying. He obviously has had some sort of negative experience. have you had him from when he was a puppy? If you have had him from when he was young and are 100% sure nothing awful has happened to him being called over.. like a stranger calling him over and kicking him.. then I am guessing he just knows you are calling him to wash him, check ears, pet him and perhaps he just wants to be left alone. It is strange that it is all the time though.

Have you though about calling him over for a treat without interacting or touching him. Say maybe 3 or 4 times a day you call him for a treat but leave the treat about a foot away from you. Don't acknowledge him at all when he comes over or say good boy. Just call him, show him the treat and leave it beside you on the floor. Completely ignore him after that. That way he will learn that you are calling him and it's ok for him to come over without the pressure of any sort of interaction.I would also keep your tone very light and happy but no baby talk and no excitedness Weird question but does your dog like to be petted? My friend had a dog that was a great big calm doggy but didn't have a lot of interest in being fussed over or petted, he also got nervous if people were excited, talking in high pitch or just loud in general. 

It might be worthwhile investing in a couple of classes with a dog trainer as they can watch your dogs body language when you are calling them or doing things in general and give you more insight in where exactly the problem lies, because this dog is definitely trying to tell you something. 

I think you should edit your question with a bit more detail, how does your dog act around you in general? Does he get excited and run up when you come home, is he inside or outside? Does he run over when you get the lead out? And what age is he?

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.