Anastasija preguntado en PetsDogs · hace 1 mes

Yorkie limping on back leg ?

I have a 7 year old Yorkshire terrier who, over the last few days, has started limping on his back leg when running (he's okay at home or when walking calmly). He doesn't object to me touching the leg as usually he growls or whinces when in pain. There are no visible wounds and doesn't feel like any bones are out of place. His behaviour also hasn't changed, he's still his playful happy self. Bizarrely, when he sees his friends in the park he 'forgets' about the limp and when we leave goes back to limping? 

Thanks 

17 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes

your vet should examine your yorkie and determine cause of limp, x ray is probably necessary either to make or confirm diagnosis....while at the vet you should ask for a blood test which can rule out lymes disease,  a bacterial infection which is spread by the bite of an infected tick, lameness is one symptom.....results of the test are available quickly with antibiotics resolving the infection if indicated.....

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

would not hurt to take to vet who can do more research

• hace 1 mes

I think highly likely to be the cruciate (ACL) and / or a luxating patella.

Either of which needs veterinary help and she should not be running about at all until you have seen a vet and got a proper diagnosis. 

If this is the cruciate you can do far more damage to the meniscus in allowing her to run about.

VET DIAGNOSIS. 

• hace 1 mes

Time for a Vet check. It could be a luxating patella ( knee cap) ACL problem, fracture, not sure, just guessing we are, see your Vet. Good Luck! 

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 1 mes

Did he ever have a problem with that leg?  He could be just wanting attention by putting on an act to be babied again.  Smart little creatures, they are, they are......  He forgets about it when there are others creatures/humans are near.  It could be just a thing he has picked up & it means nothing.  Just saying he may be a funny dog & do things a bit odd.  I think he is just wanting attention.

Although my mom had a chihuahua & he lifted both hind legs to pee & often just walked on just his front legs.  He was a little weird doo.  Cute way.

Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

Have your veterinarian check him over. With an intermittent limp in a rear leg, I'd especially be suspicious that this is a luxating patella, which is a condition where the knee cap pops in any out of place. While it isn't usually considered painful by itself, the movement of the patella in and out of socket can eventually cause severe arthritis to develop, so surgery may be recommended to correct the condition.

• hace 1 mes

Only a vet can diagnose.

My first guess would be that he may have a luxating patella.  It is a problem that is common in small dogs.   With low grade luxations, the dog can often "pop" the joint back into place. 

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

This is why there are VETERINARIANS in the world.  So he's been suffering for a few days?  You can tell by feeling/looking that no bones are out of place?

My dog tore his ACL.  That's what the VETERINARIAN diagnosed.

You're welcome.

• Lolly
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

He needs to see the vet.

• hace 1 mes

If I had to make a guess I'd say that he probably has a pinched nerve in his spine.  An ex-ray at your vets can likely confirm this.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.