SN preguntado en Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · hace 1 mes

Building Basement Wall and Door ?

I just got a new house with a fully finished basement with hardwood floors. The basement is pretty big, so I wanted to convert part of it into a room with a lockable door. I watched a few videos on temporary wall builds with doors (wood studs or metal studs). But could not find much info on how not to drill into the floor since it's newly finished with beautiful wood by the previous owner. I'd be considered an absolute beginner when it comes to home building. 

Any suggestions on how to make sure the studs would remain firmly without drilling the bottom frame to the wooden floor? 

9 respuestas

Relevancia
  • Anónimo
    hace 1 mes
    Respuesta preferida

I have done this sort of thing in historic properties where we were forbidden to attach anything to the building without needing consent. The trick is to make the wall with closets on one or (ideally) both sides with building paper under. This gives you a super wide base for the wall and you tailor it to fit to the surroundings but the whole construction remains 'loose' (at least for legal purposes) and it stays put under its own weight. Pocket doors put less strain on the wall, but hinged is usually ok - a great way of creating dressing rooms in a way that is 'reversible' in historic rooms used as bedrooms.

• Anónimo
    hace 4 semanas

Do you intend this room to be temporary?

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

YOU are the owner.  Not the Previous guy.  You lay down the floor plates and screw the MFrs with 4" screws. The floor is irrelevant. There is a WALL THERE.  However before you screw you need to Nail (Use a 3" nail and if it bends before you drive it all the way in, then there is CONCRETE FLOORING THERE.  Floor plate is 1 1/2" thick.   so a 4" screw sticks out 2 1/2"  It may hit the concrete before the screw is all the way down so the head connects flush.  I am guessing the flooring is 1/2" so maybe 2 1/2" floor screws instead of 4. I would not bother with glue because it is a mess. and unnecessary.  Knowing what is under the floor serves  you (either there is a floor outlet or a loose piece you can remove to kind of get a peak under the floor to see what they are covering over.  Maybe it is a dead body. Maybe Italian marble flooring. People are strange even on a good day. Some will cover over a parquet floor with some shim sham fake wood flooring.  Those with EYES KNOW IT IS FAKE wood. Can't hide that fact.

Now you decided to build a wall It is YOUR WALL so ffuck the floor.

The decision has been made. A wall is going here.

Once the floor plate is down now you stud the wall, Plan for the door and do it.Paneling the wall is easy. And can be done at any time. You got the floor on the inside and outside and the wall is permanently standing there.

Scuse the harsh language.  A hard day of work.

• hace 1 mes

Short answer, you have ONLY TWO options.

1. Nail/screw into the floor.

2. Don't attach the wall at the base and TOTALLY DEFEAT any security provided by the lock on the door.

A locked door isn't secure if I can move the wall.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 1 mes

Oh, please please call a contractor for this job. You CAN'T build a wall with only one part attached. And it will probably be against code. You will also have to have the height of the ceiling assessed--because you can't always build a doorway where there isn't enough clearance. Only a professional contractor can tell you if this will work. Don't worry about the floor--you need to find out if it's even possible. 

• hace 1 mes

And why would this wall be temporary? The wood floor under the wall will remain forever hidden so drilling into is no big deal. You need to screw, or nail or glue.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

You are going to potentially affect the floor whatever you do, just cutting off the air and light may well cause a line to appear across the floor when you take the wall down, although UV may not be an issue in a basement. I would just put down strips of something grippy like rubber carpet underlay so the baseplate is seated on something and build off that with the vertical timbers snugged up to the ceiling, you are looking for a good friction fit. (even then I would be tempted to use caulk - in effect removable adhesive) The real strength will come from the ceiling and wall fixings that are easily filled after and the weight of the wall; just think how difficult it is to shift a heavy wardrobe. Screw rather than nail the plywood facings on and maybe glue them on to stiffen it up. Obviously the level of security is low, but may be enough for your purposes.

• gerald
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

Doesnt make any difference whatever you use to fix it will ruin that part of the floor when you remove it so why bother about ruining it , the idea is the part you need to consider is it worth it 

• Barry
    Lv 5
    hace 1 mes

Use high grab adhesive to fix the bottom plates to the floor. I would use solvent free grab adhesive as solvents may affect the floor surface. That method of fixing will have ample strength particularly as it only needs to locate the bottom plate.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.