Anónimo
Anónimo preguntado en HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · hace 1 mes

Why is it that some people who smoke cigarettes get cancer while others don't?

My dad has been smoking newports for 22 years and he is still perfectly fine. But my great grandpa was smoking cigarettes for 19 years and he got cancer. I'm just wondering why some people get cancer from smoking cigarettes while other's who smoke them don't get it.

12 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes

Some people who smoked for years, but quit, can develop cancer later in life.  And other people who never smoked develop cancer at times too.  It seems like it's a crap shoot to me.  

Take good care

• hace 1 mes

genetics, inhaling 

• Edna
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

The chance of developing cancer is determined by the luck of the draw, your genetic make-up, and your immune system. People can smoke their entire life and never develop cancer. Other's might smoke for only 5 or 10 years and develop cancer.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

They do get the mutations caused by smoking, but their super-immune system kills the cancer cells before it multiplies and spreads. The body does this routinely BTW, to everyone. These people just have better immune systems so it's more effective.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • lo_mcg
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

Smoking related cancers take many years to develop and most people diagnosed with them are over 60. 

Lung cancer is very rare before the age of 40, and rates peak between the ages of 75 - 84. 

It’s the length of time someone smokes for, rather than how much they smoke, that’s the risk factor for smoking related cancers.

Smoking isn’t a risk factor for all types of cancer by any means.

It’s a known cause of lung cancer; of the 200+ other types of cancer, smoking is known to be a risk factor for cancers of the mouth, nose and sinuses, larynx, stomach, pancreas, kidney, bladder and liver; cervical and oesophageal cancer and myeloid leukaemia .

• LAN
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

Because smoking isn't the only thing that increases your odds of getting cancer.   Why do you keep posting variations of simple minded questions like this?

Not everyone reacts to carcinogens the same way.

• martin
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

People are different.  There's a risk of cancer from smoking, but it's not guaranteed to happen.

• hace 1 mes

cause the ones that dont get it got lucky, ive never smoked in my life

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

I guess it depends on your genetic makeup. Your health, family history etc. I'm 42 and I've been smoking since i was 18 and I'm still in good health. 

• k w
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

maybe diet, dna......

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.