Anónimo
Anónimo preguntado en Science & MathematicsMedicine · hace 1 mes

Can you set a doctor's appointment and have surgery under an anonymous name?

The reason I’m asking is because I want to get plastic surgery but I’m highly embarrassed by the reason for it, which I won’t say but due to my embarrassment I don’t want it to be known on record that I ever underwent plastic surgery so is it legal and okay to tell a surgeon’s office that you don’t want to tell them your name, address, email, etc?

5 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes

I do not believe that's legal, because they must know who is going to pay the bill.

• hace 1 mes

The reason for the surgery is an important factor that surgeons take into account and seeing how you not only are embarrassed but declining to give your own name to a doctor with legal restrictions on releasing any medical information is telling. It sounds like it's a trivial reason for the surgery. Some doctors are hesitant to do surgery for such reasons because they imply underlying psychological issues that might not be fulfilled even after doing the surgery. You might not be happy with the surgery afterwards. You might be rejected for psychological reasons. 

The economic issues are also of concern because  surgery isn't cheap. If something goes wrong then you might end up in the intensive care unit which would reach into the 100K range. 

One also has to give information with regards to the next of kin and advanced directives. If you were to die then nobody would know who you are if you give a false name. Not good for your family. 

I just find the whole thing bizarre considering HIPAA rules and regulations forbid medical disclosures. The doctor may consider you a fruitcake and deny the surgery. 

John Does or fake names are something reserved for security reasons usually criminal battery victims or witness protection dealing with their medical issues where one does not want their identity revealed. Sometimes celebrities would also be given aliases. 

Edit

If you are a celebrity then you might or might not be recognizable by the clinic staff and or hospital staff. They are required not to give out any information including identity to outsiders, that would be breaking the law and can cause termination of employment. Changing your name would not do anything with regards to people seeing you and knowing who you are and if they did again they are not even able to see information unless medically necessary and can't tell anyone that you are there or were there. All computer traffic is monitored as to who sees what on the medical record. 

I don't make assumptions only cite possible explanations which included celebrities in my original answer with the very little information that you presented originally. The fact that you don't even want your family to know implies some psychological aspects there Which I also touched on and yes celebrities do carry around some psychological baggage that others don't have to carry like simply going shopping. 

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

I doubt there's a legal issue.  You'd have to pay in cash or money order, likely upfront, and you would want to talk to the office if that is acceptable.  Let's say the surgery is $10k, a doctor's office may not want to have that much cash on the premises.  Your best bet when you think you know which surgeon you want is to go in and talk to them.  The first thing they are going to do is hand you a form to fill out with all your personal information and you'll find out very quickly if they are willing to work with you on remaining anonymous. Insurance typically does not cover plastic surgery unless it's required for a medical condition.  If you are going to use insurance, there's no way to remain anonymous.  Your insurance will not accept a claim when your personal information on the statement doesn't match their records.

You do realize that people around you are going to figure out you've had surgery even assuming you can remain out of sight for the entire healing time?

• hace 1 mes

I know someone who did that.  He paid in cash-in-hand, and had it done in a different city.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • Scott
    Lv 6
    hace 1 mes

I don’t believe they ever really investigate that, so I suppose you could try. But if you’re using private insurance, then your name needs to match the name on the insurance card. So your plan would only potentially work if you paid cash. 

I always go by my middle name. And sometimes when I forget I actually list my name that way. Nobody has ever questioned me about that.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.