Lv 7
. preguntado en Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · hace 1 mes

Why is it wrong for white voice actors to voice black cartoon characters?

11 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 4 semanas

Is that a thing? I'm gonna be honest, sometimes when I find out how a voice actor/actress looks for the first time I'm always put off because you don't always connect the voice to a real face.

I don't think anyone should find it wrong? Companies go through a bunch of people to find the right voice for a character. The actor doesn't have to look like the character, they don't have to be the same race or gender, and they don't have to be "sculpted by the gods" good looking (although that's a plus when I google their names).

If you think about it Animes in Japanese are always voices by regular Japanese VAs. Black or Hispanic characters are voices by asians, and somehow when it becomes English people have a problem with the VA needing to be the same race? That feels racist.

As long as their voice does the character justice I don't judge. I just want a great voice to match a great character.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

It's not wrong. It's just lefty sjw types want to control everything and everyone and they think we should all be offended cos they're offended. Hell next these damn lefty wankers will tell you a human shouldn't be voicing animal/fairy tale/non bio based beings. 

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

I don't mind when it's the other way around. Kratos was a white greek demigod voiced by a black guy, Agent Kallus from Star Wars Rebels was a british roman influenced human from another galaxy voiced by a black guy. Seemed to work out. I dunno if my OC is going to be Filipino or black, but I wouldn't mind my hypothetical character being voiced by any race as long as they stayed true to his character. 

• hace 1 mes

No if they have talent leave them do it.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • Apu from the Simpsons is not black, He is Indian from India...only dark color skin.

• Diana
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

I've often thought it was odd that Samurai Jack, who's Japanese, was voiced by an African American.  However, the guy did do a good job.  

• hace 1 mes

It isn’t wrong.

Black voice actors voice White Cartoon Characters too.

And Magma from X-Men Legends is voiced by a Black Woman.

Hey Arnold was voiced by a Black guy.

• hace 1 mes

Voice has no race.

• hace 1 mes

It's really not if you judge it in isolation.  Nor the reverse.

The problem is that Hollywood is one of the most racist industries in America and has been for a long time.  They like to pretend they're very sensitive and accepting, but look at actions and not words and you can see that it's really not true.  They are perfectly willing to give 'token' roles to minorities, or even bankroll relatively cheap 'black shows', but generally all the meaty roles will go to whites.

So when you have a black character and cast a white actor to play them, it looks ALOT like Hollywood just doing it's usual game of cheating black actors out of roles.  Whereas then the reverse happens, it looks like Hollywood trying to mend it's ways.

• hace 1 mes

The new thinking is that black actors should voice black characters, and I mean that’s a nice sentiment and it’s a good idea to bring more people in, but the whole point of acting is to become a character who is not yourself. So the idea that you’re limiting what an actor is aloud to do is ridiculous it goes against the idea of acting. If a guy has voiced a cartoon black man for 20 years I mean, that’s just his life at that point. But maybe he wanted to leave and used this as an excuse. 

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.