How do I stop my laptop from getting slower?

You know how when you use a PC/laptop for a long time it gets slower and slower right? How do I stop that or at least slow it down?

14 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes

The manufacturers, will slow it down.

• hace 1 mes

take off  all the software you do not  use anymore

delete your cookies  scan your computer for spyware

• hace 1 mes

Computer hardware doesn't slow down over time. There are other factors at play which causes the PC to feel slower than it was when it was new.

-As time goes on simple things like webpages, videos, etc take up more RAM and CPU processing power. 

-PC's slow down as you add more programs to the system. This is one of the main reasons PC's end up being slow after several years. Those free games and programs come at a price. 

-PC cooling is overlooked. If parts like the CPU or Graphics card get too hot then they will throttle which results in the clock speed being lowered. 

• Shadow
    Lv 4
    hace 2 meses

Over time computers perform slower than they used to due to wear however, it is possible to reduce the impact by running maintenance tasks on it from time to time and by keeping unnecessary files and data on an external drive so that the computer does not have to process the files all the time.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • Ya-Hoo
    Lv 4
    hace 2 meses

You need to get a top of the line computer. Fast processor, a lot of RAM, and the new SSD hard drives are faster than previous HDD.

• hace 2 meses

Clean your computer, Remove unwanted files and remove temp files.

• hace 2 meses

You might have shovelware media indexers running.

I disabled everything from "Cyberlink Corp" that was on my computer's startup.

You can also move your media and data files to external hard drives.  Don't forget to make backups.

Uninstall apps that you know you will never use -- but be careful not to uninstall the things your computer needs!

Clear browser cache for all your browsers.  Uninstall any pernicious toolbars and browser plugins.

Install Malwarebytes Free, and do a "thorough" scan.

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    hace 2 meses

I usually reformat my hard drive every several years.  But prior to doing that, I use CClearner to get rid of junk files and registry errors.

If you're not using an SSD but instead a traditional HDD, then you might want to defragment the hard drive.  Most say that doing this really doesn't have any noticeable benefits, but it certainly cannot hurt.  But if you do have a solid state drive (SSD), then you do not need to defrag.  In fact, defragging an SSD could lessen its lifespan.

Run a malware detection software such as Malwarebytes.

Go through the programs installed on your computer and delete any toolbars.  Toolsbars are usually installed along with other software that you download or get for free.  Toolbars can be a big resource hog as they're constantly running in the background.  A friend of mine had a slow computer.  She had more than a dozen toolbars installed!

In addition to toolbars, you might as well uninstall any programs that you haven't run in more than 6 months.

• hace 2 meses

Give your computer a good re-format every couple years.  You are still going to have hardware degradation, but atleast you can have clean software.

• Anónimo
    hace 2 meses

Perform a Disk Cleanup

Install Malware Bytes

Install uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger on your browser

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.