Lohen preguntado en PetsBirds · hace 1 mes

How can I convince my parents to let me get a macaw?

I am twelve years old and live in toronto canada. I was wondering how can I convince my mom to let me get a macaw, my dad goes with ever my mom says so he’s out of the equation but I have a medium sized house and a large backyard and want a macaw. I know how long they live and are completely ready for the responsibility my family already has a bunny and a hamster but thats my sisters. Any advice would be helpful to convince my mom

15 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes

How does a 12 year old come up with $1800 for the Macaw and another $600 for a cage for the bird?

• hace 1 mes

Those birds can live to be in their 70's, when you go to school, college, get married who is going to take care of the bird? They are like have a 3 year old, lots of attention and proper care, if you lack these you could have a real nasty bird with problems. They are an expensive purchase, need vet care to trim the beak and nails and more. They are real noisy, neighbors will complain not to mention your parents. 

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

its very exotic and very expensive I would say. Just write a long letter to your parents telling them why u want a bird

• hace 1 mes

You don't.

Start with something smaller like a parakeet.   Parrots have social needs that are best left in the hands of an experienced bird owner.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 1 mes

I love birds. 

I own a small parrot and have owned other small parrots.I do wildlife rescue including a range of parrots including hand raising nestlings.There is no way I would ever suggest a macaw as a first parrot or as a suitable pet for a child.What is going to happen when you leave home? Many places would not allow a noisy parrot.Wait until you move into a suitable home of your own.Meanwhile, try talking them into a 'beginners' parrot lihe a budgerigah.

• hace 1 mes

If you really want one, you will wait until you have your own house.

Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

Unless your parents are experienced bird owners who are super excited about being responsible for the bird for the rest of their lives, you quite simply don't. Macaws in captivity live upwards of 50 years with proper care, and they are difficult birds to own, not at all suitable for novice bird owners or children. You'll find that when you move out, university housing will absolutely not allow such a large and noisy bird, and neither will rental housing, especially apartments. They are extremely noisy and destructive.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Many people don't realize what they get themselves into when they get a big parrot. They are a LIFETIME COMMITMENT. You know that right? LIFETIME, as in you are stuck with this bird, assuming you get one at 12 years old, for 60+ years. You will be 72 years old at that point. SEVENTY TWO. 

Macaws are also very much one-person birds. They will tolerate those in the family that the person trusts, but it's not always a rule. So you are 12. Any plans to go to college? Move out? What if those places do not allow birds and your mom and dad cannot take care of it because the bird won't allow anyone else near it? Are you going to give up college for a bird? Work around it? You move out to a place that allows birds, but have to get a roommate and the roommate hates pets. What then? 

Often times, people think they want a macaw, only to realize how much work they are. They a TON of work. This is why so many are given up after 5-10 years, because people did not realize how long they live, how loud they are, how messy they are, and how territorial they can be. When they are given up, it can take another 5-6 years for them to get used to a new person, if THEY EVER DO, and many do not and have to live out the remainder of their lives in shelters. 

I don't think you've completely thought this through. If you still want one when you're on your own and making your own money, do what you want. You haven't the slightest clue about birds and what they really need and how much work they really are. You just see pretty colors and that it can talk. 

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Show her your responsible and tell her about them. Like how long they live what they eat. And hope that she will say yes 

• Liz
    Lv 5
    hace 1 mes

Talk to her as frankly as you have done here, as her for a solid reason why she doesn't want you to have one.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.