jenny preguntado en Science & MathematicsZoology · hace 1 mes

What kind of bug is this? ?

Hello! I recently found a bug in my carpet, and I am trying to figure what kind of bug it is so I can try to ensure they don’t come again. I’m not sure what kind of bug it is, and I keep looking at images but it’s sort of hard to tell. I haven’t been experiencing anything but I don’t want to wait to find out either. Please let me know if anyone knows what kind of bug it is and if you know any solutions! 

Attachment image

7 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes

If i am not mistaken, this beetle is, in fact, a false bombardier beetle. The picture isnt up close but from what i can see it resembles a false bombardier beetle.

Here is some information i found on this beetle:"False Bombardier BeetleThis False Bombardier Beetle (Galerita janus) (probably) has dialed it back just a bit. Its spray consists mainly (80%) of concentrated formic acid (which is also deployed by ants), with some acetic acid and wetting agents thrown in. Formic acid smells bad and is noxious to vertebrate and invertebrate pursuers alike. Paired abdominal glands are also standard equipment in the False Bombardier Beetle, but they only consist of a storage chamber and a delivery chamber that is surrounded by compressor muscles. Scientists who experimented on the False Bombardier Beetle by pinching various legs and antennae report that the beetles spray accurately toward the side and the appendage that is being pinched, and that a left-side pinch activates only the left-side apparatus, and vice versa. Bursts of spray are only milliseconds long; it takes six or seven sprays to empty a False Bombardier Beetle and almost 5 weeks to completely recharge.This beautiful False Bombardier Beetle is about twice the size of the “real” Bombardier Beetle. It’s found in open woods and brush piles (and the BugLady’s basement and bathtub), where it often preys on caterpillars (but not in the BugLady’s bathtub).To the people who laugh at the BugLady’s album of indoor bugs, she has this to say: Researchers studied 50 homes in Raleigh NC, cataloging every arthropod they saw. They found 10,000+ specimens and concluded that each home averaged 93 species from 62 families of insects and spiders, with some larger homes topping 500 species. Most were a big surprise to homeowners; some were typical “house bugs,” but many were outside bugs that wandered in; and true “pest species” were rare.Folks sometimes ask the BugLady how she gets some of her photos. Trade Secret #1 is that insects, being both cold-blooded and quick, are slowed down a bit by a brief sojourn in the refrigerator (a longer stay, alas, accidentally kills them). Her mashed potato serving bowl made a perfect backdrop for this beetle."

Attachment image
  • hace 1 mes

It's a predaceous ground beetle in the family Carabidae, probably in the genus Brachinus.  They are totally harmless, so you don't need any solutions.

Update:  The common name for Brachinus beetles is "bombadier beetles."  Whether the beetle in your photo is a true bombadier beetle (Brachinus) or a false bombadier beetle (Galerita), I don't know.  In either case, it's still a harmless predaceous ground beetle.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

An octopus, k?...

Fuente(s): 8
  • hace 1 mes

This is a wevil of sort, harmless, maybe a pantry pest in numbers.

They are outdoor sorts but can raid stored grains in pantries.

One bug is nothing of concern.

Guess someone forgot to tell you we live in a world dominated by bugs.

The mass of ants alone outweigh all humans çombined.

It is far easier to live in harmony with bugs than to combat them.

Nature can do that part like that little house spider under the shelf eating pest bugs.

Some household good bugs are spiders, woodlice, and earwigs naming a few.

You will be subject to bugs your whole life, maybe read about bugs, you will feel better,

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 1 mes

It’s your mom reincarnated.

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

Looks like a leaf beetle. Maybe one of these: https://bugguide.net/node/view/127104/bgimage I wouldn't be too worried as they are plant eaters and would only enter a house by accident.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

kinda looks like a bedbug to me.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.