What bread do you eat if you have diabetes type 2?

Just been diagnosed with diabetes type 2 it seems cereals are no good for you and you should eat multigrain or whole wheat breads. I dislike cereal except weetbix with butter and vegemite and don't like anything but white bread except mountain bread, wraps and charcoal brioche. 

5 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 mes

Read the label what's important here is the carbohydrates.  If you are counting carbohydrates know that different brands vary in the amount of carbohydrates. 

i.e. .... wraps or tortillas will vary in size and the carbohydrates will vary.

• hace 1 mes

Depends on you, your diet, your meter readings and how much control you want of your diabetes, with or without meds/insulin.

Every diabetic is going to be different. Personally I can eat any bread I want. How? I adjust the rest of my meal of course, as well as my activity that day before or after that particular meal. Since I no longer need diabetes meds, I rely on my diet and exercise to control my glucose levels. 

So while you only like certain breads, if you are not willing to put in the effort to learn about YOUR diabetes, at least how the foods you eat affects your blood glucose levels, you are going to learn very quickly that not learning or bothering to educate yourself on how to adjust your carbohydrates, will lead to possible problems down the road. 

• It's all in the numbers. You need to look at the nutrition information on the label and fit the carbs into your meal. I try to find bread that is under 15 grams of carbs per slice and at least 5 grams of fiber. Which generally leaves you with some kind of crude seed/nut/roughage slices that are pretty small.

Not much way around this. Bread is ridiculously high in carbs and spikes glucose.

• hace 1 mes

Time to switch it up for your health. Choose breads containing at least 7 Gms of fiber per serving, and try to experiment with different types 

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • A
    Lv 7
    hace 1 mes

The DR should have given you some pamphlets or information on what to eat and what to avoid.  You need to reduce/control foods that turn into sugar and spike your blood sugar level,  obviously anything sweetened with natural sugar, honey,  fruit sugar, etc is to be very limited or avoided.  White potatoes, rice, white bread, all process quickly and spike the BS that is why they suggest the grainer whole grain types as it takes the body longer to breakdown.    Breakfast could be eggs, lean protein, and Whole grain bread, there are a number of WG breads that do not have chunks of grain in them, read labels.   Find a low carb bread or wrap.   Limit fruit, pasta, etc

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.