Allison preguntado en TravelAsia PacificJapan · hace 1 mes

What should a foreign woman expect when moving to Japan?

I’m going to Japan next year for work, and I’m overall really excited about it. However, I’ve heard that things like sexual assault are very common, especially against foreign women with blonde hair. I’m not too worried about it since I’m almost 6 feet tall, but I would still like to hear advice from anyone with experience living in Japan. Thanks!

6 respuestas

Relevancia
  • I did my study abroad there a few years ago. For the most part everyone was nice and helpful. The only weird encounter I had was when a guy asked me in broad daylight how much for me and started saying numbers. I understood what he said but it took me off guard and I just stared. Another guy told me to stand near the stall (I was waiting for food to be made) and not to stand over there. Another time a drunk guy late at night tried touching my friend and mine boob but he didn't at all. Other than that after months there it was only really that. Almost everyone was nice and helpful and reached out when I got lost (Tokyo). It also helped that I spoke the language (somewhat studied for 2 years before going). 

• hace 1 mes

In my experience, my female colleagues in Japan have had everything from stalkers to "marital aids" deposited in their mailbox. Japan has a lot of good points, but they have those ladies only rail cars for a reason. In any case, you will never know unless you judge for yourself. It's no wonder at all that Japanese folks like their police force. They have men and women who can send wandering fingers where the sun does not shine. 

Fuente(s): I am guessing I have way, way more time in, in Japan than people who thumb me down here. You all can tell me what I should say to my colleague because she does not like the "gift" she got and we have to take care of business. Yeah; I am her senpai at least in terms of time of residence in Japan i-it is my problem too. Assorted perverts make life difficult for all young working women in Japan-it is a good thing that the cops apply some judo to them these days.
  • Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

I would suggest you start getting your information from somewhere more reputable.

• hace 1 mes

I have only worked there for very short periods (2 weeks at a time) and from my little experience, I know that they can be very curious about people who look different.  At the time I worked there, I was small, skinny,flat chested and had a dark brown bob, so didn't look too different and didn't get any extra attention.  Some of my colleagues who were taller, blonde, ginger and with larger breasts, did get stared at.  I heard a story about someone from the company who had worked there previously that she had been traveling on the train and a man started touching her bottom.  Apparently she was someone who stood no nonsense and grabbed the hand, held it up in the air and asked in a loud voice "who does this belong to?".  The man was exceedingly embarrassed. I suspect that if you can be brave enough to stop it, it is the best thing to do.  In my experience, in general, the Japanese are very respectful and polite and don't like confrontation. You are more likely to get groups of school children coming up to practice their English.  I loved Japan.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 1 mes

Where are you hearing this nonsense? I have had MANY students go to teach in Japan. No one has reported any problem with sexual assault. There is culture there that puts up with what's called "pinko bars" where men feel up the waitresses. And some incidences of touching on the subway. But that's being dealt with, and is almost never directed at foreigners. There's very little violence in Japan. It has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. People park their bicycles at the train stations without locking them up. I suspect you're hearing that nonsense from conservatives who want to disparage any country that isn't the US. One of the cutest, little, blonde girls I know taught in Japan for a year and never had any problem with the men. Now, many years ago, I do know of a blonde American who went to teach in a small town and had some children following her around asking if they could touch her hair because they had never seen blonde hair before, but in these days of international tv, movies and internet, that's not likely to be true. 

BTW- I am blonde and have been in Japan several times and experienced nothing but politeness. 

• Anónimo
    hace 1 mes

Pretty much a closed society, so MOST of your face-to-face contracts will be thru your job.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.