Jack preguntado en Games & RecreationBoard Games · hace 2 meses

Can i be a pro chess player with IQ 133?

If yes, how much time should I spend ?

Attachment image

8 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 4 días

You can start training at any time, but it might take many years.

• hace 1 mes

Yes, but you have to know how to play chest first.

• hace 1 mes

Chess is a board game.  Not an IQ test.

Fuente(s): USCF NM
  • hace 2 meses

No you need at least 34000 IQ

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 2 meses

Your mensa IQ is meaningless, except if you want to join Mensa...

A friend of mine was an officially recognized international master (ELO 2400) and his official IQ was 95 (he scored 120 on Mensa's tests). And he played professionally, along with his regular job as mathematician. 

(Not that it matters, but I beat him regularly, but never could make it to master level, or get the ELO points to match. So never made it to the professional levels. It's NOT enough just to be good at chess!)

• Anónimo
    hace 2 meses

If you're old enough to be on this site and can't answer the question yourself then the answer is almost certainly no.

Very few people are good enough to make a living at chess and all of them were expert-master level by age 12-13. IQ represents your ability to learn and a 133 would be fairly average among chess pros.So, what you're asking is if you can catch up despite your average learning ability. No, you can't.

Michael de la Maza estimates it should take about 2400 hours of study to reach a rating of 1900. Double that to get to 2000 and double it again to reach master level. That's about 17000 hours of study. Keep in mind though just being a master is still a very long way from being a professional. From there, you would need to progress to IM then GM, then be able to compete with the world's best and only then maybe become a pro. It took Bobby Fischer about 18 years to go from master to professional and he was a genius with a 180+ IQ. 

So, about 17000 hours of study+18 years (for a genius). Keep in mind though that if you're over 35 by that point you'll be past your prime and it will take longer. 

• hace 2 meses

Depends personally on how good a player you want to be. BTW, IQ and chess ability/desire to win are completely different things. Some smart people don't play chess at all. My wife has a higher IQ than me and does not play, for example. I have an IQ of (of course) 133 and I do play.

• hace 2 meses

Only if you are young enough. Then you need a good teacher & up to 16 hours per. day study.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.