Should I put power steering into my classic?

I have a 1963 Ford Falcon Futura. It does not have power steering and some people tell me not to get it and what not. I don't know much about cars but I'm trying to learn as I go. Should I get Power steering?  i need your guys expertise. Please and thank you in advance

8 respuestas

Relevancia
  • M.
    Lv 7
    hace 7 meses

Why?

Can't you drive it as it is?

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• hace 7 meses

If it wasn't original to that model, install it at the risk of devaluing it as a classic car.

• hace 7 meses

Don't put yourself through it. That car doesn't need power steering, and unless you can find good used parts at the salvage yard, you're ppisssing in the wind.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    hace 7 meses

A '63 Falcon is light enough that you shouldn't need power steering. If it were my car, I'd be more interested in adding front disc brakes

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • hace 7 meses

I f the falcon is a 6 cyl that's why I dies not have the PS box . I suppose you could add it But that would be costly and unnecessary . Power steering is a power hungry option It'll sap power from the engine , and cost a good amount of money to do it . I'm not going to criticize you for your question and stuff like that . In all honesty you only benefit from PS when the car is not moving Once it's moving PS is not really needed . Only when the car is at a stand still Will you benefit from having it In . I'd leave it as it is if it was my car .

• Evil C
    Lv 7
    hace 7 meses

It's your car. It goes without saying you do as you wish with it. Certain aftermarket companies make bolt-on kits like A/C, disc brakes, and power steering systems for older classic vehicles that didn't have them originally. you obviously don't need power steering to keep it functional, but it does make it easier and even safer to control the car.

• Anónimo
    hace 7 meses

It is not designed to have power steering, use some common sense if you have

any

• hace 7 meses

I wouldn't do it. Especially if you don't know much about cars. I expect it's a lot more trouble than you think. Brackets,  hoses , a power steering pump,  changing out the steering gear. Not easy, and for that car probably  not cheap.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.