Ger preguntado en Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · hace 1 década

If sex makes people happy, why the United States isn't the happiest place in the world?

This was a question from a psychologist some years ago.

Now I will put what Saint Augustine said:

If we were inmortal and lived in unending bodily pleasure, with no fear of losing it, why should we not be happy? What else should we be seeking for? I did not realize that that is exactly what shows our great wretchedness. For I was so submerged and blinded that I could not think of the light of moral goodness and of beauty to be embraced for its own sake---beauty seen not by the eye of the flesh, but only by inward discernment.

In my sombre state I did not consider from what fountain came the flow of delightful conversation with friends (though on such sordid subjects), nor the fact that without friends I could not be happy even when my mind was at the time a flood of indulgence in physical pleasures. My friends I loved indeed for their own sake; and I felt that in return they loved me for my sake.

What tortuous paths! How fearful a fate for 'the rash soul' which nursed the hope that after it had departed from you, it would find something better! Turned this way and that, on its back, on its side, on its stomach, all positions are uncomfortable. You alone are repose.

You are present, liberating us from miserable errors, and you put us on your way, bringing comfort and saying: 'Run, I will carry you, and I will see you through to the end, and there I will carry you'

And now, what is evil.

"Everything God created is good, and if something is corrupt, it means is harmed, but there is nothing that God made corrupt. For things which are liable to corruption are good. Evil is not a substance, for if it were a substance, it would be good."

"God did not make all things equal, all things are good in the sense that taken individually they are good, and all things taken together are very good. (Gen 1:31).

But in parts of the universe, there are certain elements which are thought evil because a conflict of interests. These elements are congruous with other elements and as such are good, and are also good in themselves. All these elements which have some mutual conflict of interest are congruous with the inferior part of the universe which we call earth."

When we eat too much there is a conflict, when we are proud of ourselves, who deserve nothing, there is a conflict.

Sex, Marriage and children are linked togueter. By using sex outside marriage, people have diminished the value of it. It has been placed as if it were love, which is not. True love is being patient, smiling to others, because a smile is a gift; forgiving everything, because if we don't forgive all we can't be truly happy nor act as if we would after forgiving the other. Love is a gift, sex too. But many people use others as objects, which will leave them with something empty. As soon as a person posseses that thing that he wished to have, at that same moment, he turns his face to other things, having to confess that unless he hates the world and rennounce to himself, he can't be truly happy.

I myself didn't know nor understood all this before. For people who have gone away from the true meaning I suggest that they ask Jesus to administer their thoughts and wishes and pray.

This is what the Catholic Church have said to me. What do you think? If you can give me more facts I would apreciate them. God bless you.

15 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 década
    Respuesta preferida

Very good.

God is concerned with how we treat each other.

We have been instructed to love

+ Our neighbor as we love ourselves

+ One another as Jesus loved us

When we treat each other like sex objects, when sex is taking instead of giving, we damage the human dignity of both our partner and ourselves.

True giving of yourself to another in a sacramental marriage is what love is all about.

Marriage is a symbol of God's creation of the world in an act of divine love and self-outpouring.

Marriage is a symbol of the love, commitment, intensity, and passion of Christ for the Church for which He laid down His life.

Christians take sex very seriously because it is a glorious gift from God that lets us feel just a bit like God. We become lovers, givers, and creators.

With love in Christ.

• hace 5 años

Its the feeling that if you are with that special someone everything will be okay. As long as you are with that person you are happy. No its not sex because i havnt had sex with the girl i love yet and i can say without a doubt i love her. Love is carring to much about someone and what they think. I get that warm feeling whenever im alone with her. You dont need to say anything you can just look into eachothers eyes and smile. When you can tell that person absolutly everything you see or think and they will do the same to you. complete trust that the person will not purposly do something to upset or hurt you Best answer?

• Anónimo
    hace 1 década

Quote all you like but you cannot get away from the reality of the effect of christianity on society!!

Whilst many Americans claim that America is a shining Christian, moral nation blessed by God they could not be more wrong.

The higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy and abortion!!

The US is the world’s only prosperous democracy where murder rates are still high!!

Rates for gonorrhea in adolescents in the US are 300 times higher than in less devout democratic countries. America also has uniquely high adolescent and adult syphilis rates, and adolescent abortions!!

All the lesser devout nations developed countries are the least dysfunctional!!!

A Christian is a man that feels repentance on Sunday for what he did on Saturday and is going to do on Monday. - Thomas Russell Ybarra

Fuente(s): Journal of Religion and Society
  • hace 1 década

I think anyone who sees sex as THE source of happiness or the source of downfall is completely unbalanced. It's part of life, but it should never have that much control over your life through promiscuity or celibacy. Both, imo, are harmful attitudes when taken to their logical extreme.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • Rachel
    Lv 6
    hace 1 década

Because obesity is a serious medical problem that frequently leads to Erectile Dysfunction (more commonly known as ED)...this leads to less sex in America because as America is a very obese country, sex is not as prevalent here as it could be... plus, how could you be happy if you were 750 pounds?

• hace 1 década

Because life people in the USA live to work....they don't work to live. That's why

Life is monotonous for Most of us. Most of us don't have time to have fun, sex doesn't cover everything. Life is not that easy here, but them again is not anywhere in the world.

• hace 1 década

Because sex only makes smart people happy. Dumb people abuse sex and they end up being more depressed because of it.

Oh and sex, marriage, and children are not really linked. Sex and children are, but marriage isn't. People have sex AND CHILDREN outside marriage all the time and many married couples have chosen a child-free life.

Fuente(s): Childfree atheist.
  • hace 1 década

I agree, we're certainly getting screwed by the government every day.

If I write a book or a paper, will you believe everythign I write and take it as 'gospel'?

• hace 1 década

Because society constrains us in our sexuality more than most people realize.

• Anónimo
    hace 1 década

you are naive to think sex alone makes people happy

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.