Mike Portnoy with avenged sevenfold,what do you think?

a7x is my favorite band, and it seems that this decision is only to have mike portnoy record the new album since it was the revs favorite drummer...anyway i think it was a good decision, but it will be interesting to see if mike will have any input on the band that could or if he is really just merely what the rev had already written. I just don't think of any other drummer that could have done the job, so i think it will be interesting to see what mike can do..what do you guys think? and please give serious opinions

10 respuestas

Relevancia
  • hace 1 década
    Respuesta preferida

It's a great thing. I'm very happy that the guys are able to move on. I couldn't imagine being in their position. Loosing your best friend of over 15 years, pretty much? That's unbelievable. I'm going to support absolutely everything that they choose to do and I know that they will make all the right choice and Jimmy will be in mind. Mike is a fabulous drummer, yes, but I am a little skeptical about it all. It's just not the same. I know, I know. It's the best choice for Jimmy and he'd be thrilled since it's his favorite drummer, but as a really big fan, excepting a new guy (not saying that he will replace Jimmy because he's got duties with DT) is really hard. I'm curious to hear it all, but I know in the end I will break down in tears while listening to one of the best albums ever, with Jimmy in mind. And he'll be looking down thinking, "Wow, that girl is insane. Haha."

Fuente(s): Dr.'s Degree in A7Xology
  • Alexis
    Lv 5
    hace 1 década

I respect Dream Theater, and I'm glad that he agreed. The Rev really wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I wonder how different it will sound, especially without the Rev's amazing and unique backing vocals. The album definitely will not be as good as it could have been, even though Mike Portnay is better there is no way to match all the things the Rev did for A7x, but this is probably the next best thing. It's a great way to honor the Rev and get the job done in my opinion.

A7x is my favorite band too, and I seriously pray they don't disband after the release of their new album :(

• hace 1 década

I dont think they'll change very much of whats already been written drum wise. I think they'll want to keep as close what Jimmy wrote as possible but its not going to be as good as it could be. As good of a drummer Portnoy is he obviously isn't going to pour his heart and soul into it like Jimmy would, but its a nice thing he's doing. This album is definately will be the greatest saddest cd ever, for me anyway especially with all this uncertainties with whats going to happen after the cd comes. I guess all we Avenged fans can do is hope.

A7X foREVer

• Anónimo
    hace 1 década

In a way I'd love to see it because he's one of the few drummers that can handle the Rev's drumming and one of the very few drummers better than the Rev. But in a way I don't like it because I like Dream Theater better than A7X and I wouldn't wanna see DT put on hold.

• ¿Qué te parecieron las respuestas? Puedes iniciar sesión para votar por la respuesta.
  • Anónimo
    hace 1 década

I think it's pretty damn great. First off, he's a great drummer, and secondly, he was The Rev's favorite drummer. Since things had to happen like this, it's what Jimmy would have wanted. I'm sure he's looking down at us thinking "Sweet, thanks Mike!" Haha. I think Mike will do his best to keep everything similar to what Jimmy already wrote, he did say he would on his Twitter. However, it's unfortunate that we will never get to know exactly what Jimmy had up his sleeve, and I know it was going to be damn amazing! Who knows what he would have added and changed? Plus, the album won't include his vocals... ah well. Life has to go on.

Fuente(s): RIP Jimmy <3
  • Lv 6
    hace 1 década

When I first heard about it, I thought it was kind of weird that the drummer from Dream Theater would be recording with A7X..but he's doing them a nice favor so I respect it, even though I don't really like Avenged Sevenfold.

• hace 1 década

I also to a scratch to the head and tried to figure why Mike Portnoy would drum for Avenged Sevenfold... As an fan of Dream Theater it's really something when a drumming god will do such a task. If anyone is qualified for the job Mike Portnoy is overqualified to play for them (I know what he can do.)

EDIT:

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBnK7fC4yj0

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=player_embedded#

• hace 1 década

i think his style is a lil off compared to when he was with dream theater, but he is such a versatile amazing drummer, im sure he could fill in for the rev

• hace 1 década

It will make me take a closer look at Avenged Sevenfold. I know one of my kids likes them, so... I'm willing.

Fuente(s): Love Dream Theater.
  • hace 1 década

yea mike can sure pull it off.

After all he was a Berkley graduate.

¿Aún tienes preguntas? Pregunta ahora para obtener respuestas.